Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same Boat, New Motor
Picked up my re-motored boat from Fred's Marine today. That new 25 hp Merc sure does look lots bigger than the 15 hp I've had on the boat since I bought in new in 2007.  Now I have a power trim & tilt, ought to eliminate the need to carry bags of ballast sand in the bow to keep the bow down where I can see over it when it's just me in the boat. Longer shaft dictated the addition of a transom saver, and the rearanging of my storage shed so the boat would fit in with the motor aimed slightly back instead vertical. Hope to get it out on  the water for a test run this weekend. 

[Image: 200317-001.jpg] [Image: 200317-004.jpg] [Image: 200317-003.jpg] [Image: 200317-005.jpg][Image: 200317-002.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Forrest that is a nice looking motor you got yourself. I had a 20 hp on a 16' aluminum boat and it pushed it along pretty good. (At least till I hit hit the finger on bird island and screwed my gears up) but I'm guessing that 25 will give you a new perspective on life haha. Enjoy it and hope to see you down here at Utah lake sometime....
(03-18-2020, 05:55 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Forrest that is a nice looking motor you got yourself. I had a 20 hp on a 16' aluminum boat and it pushed it along pretty good. (At least till I hit hit the finger on bird island and screwed my gears up) but I'm guessing that 25 will give you a new perspective on life haha. Enjoy it and hope to see you down here at Utah lake sometime....

It is gonna be a little bit of a new learning curve. Controls are a bit different. No Fwd and Rev shift lever, it's all part of the tiller throttle. But it is EFI, so  no carbs or choke. Bigger prop, same pitch.
I will be getting down to UL more often this summer after retirement in June. Smile

Cool
Nice upgrade addition Forrest. Now you have to get it out on Willard to get it broke in so you can be ready for those ice off lakes coming.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-18-2020, 01:42 PM)Bduck Wrote: Nice upgrade addition Forrest. Now you have to get it out on Willard to get it broke in so you can be ready for those ice off lakes coming.

Yep. I am planning to get the boat all put back together (all the stuff put back in that I take out during the winter) today after work. Then hope to get it first of season wet on Saturday at Willard south and get some self guided OJT with the new motor.  I figured I am retiring 30 June and the old motor provided 13 years of faithful service. Was time to invest in a new one before my income gets cut.

Cool
Good looking motor Forest. Looking forward to a report. I'm sure you will enjoy it after you get through the learning curve.
Congrats Forest, that ought to make a pretty big difference for you... 10 ponies will scoot you right along... hang on tight...  you might be able to outrun Pat's machine now...  JK..  Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-18-2020, 03:00 AM)Tin-Can Wrote: Picked up my re-motored boat from Fred's Marine today. That new 25 hp Merc sure does look lots bigger than the 15 hp I've had on the boat since I bought in new in 2007.  Now I have a power trim & tilt, ought to eliminate the need to carry bags of ballast sand in the bow to keep the bow down where I can see over it when it's just me in the boat. Longer shaft dictated the addition of a transom saver, and the rearanging of my storage shed so the boat would fit in with the motor aimed slightly back instead vertical. Hope to get it out on  the water for a test run this weekend. 

[Image: 200317-001.jpg] [Image: 200317-004.jpg] [Image: 200317-003.jpg] [Image: 200317-005.jpg][Image: 200317-002.jpg]

Looks like agreat addition/upgrade! I hope to see you on UL later in spring. I had neck surgery yesterday and I feel like going fishing, but the Doc says 4-weeks and I should be ready.
Quote:It is gonna be a little bit of a new learning curve. Controls are a bit different. No Fwd and Rev shift lever, it's all part of the tiller throttle. But it is EFI, so  no carbs or choke. Bigger prop, same pitch.
I will be getting down to UL more often this summer after retirement in June. Smile

You will get used to the controls pretty quick. I bought a Merc last year and really like not haveing to shift the lever.
(03-20-2020, 03:42 AM)elkantlers Wrote:
Quote:It is gonna be a little bit of a new learning curve. Controls are a bit different. No Fwd and Rev shift lever, it's all part of the tiller throttle. But it is EFI, so  no carbs or choke. Bigger prop, same pitch.

You will get used to the controls pretty quick. I bought a Merc last year and really like not haveing to shift the lever.

With the wet weather most of the day today, I spent several hours in the boat shed. Installed my trolling plate on the new motor. Had to build up a new cable to deploy it. New motor bigger, needed longer cable. Rigged a new one with plastic coated wire rope. Should keep the cable from scratchin up the side of motor. Took me 2 trips to 2 different Lowes to get what I needed. But that job is done. More rain forecast for tomorrow, so will work on getting all the stuff I tote in the boat put back in. Sunday forecast is better, may get a chance to do a first run ops check at Willard. Might even take some fishing gear Smile

Cool
(03-20-2020, 11:43 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

With the wet weather most of the day today, I spent several hours in the boat shed. Installed my trolling plate on the new motor. Had to build up a new cable to deploy it. New motor bigger, needed longer cable. Rigged a new one with plastic coated wire rope. Should keep the cable from scratchin up the side of motor. Took me 2 trips to 2 different Lowes to get what I needed. But that job is done. More rain forecast for tomorrow, so will work on getting all the stuff I tote in the boat put back in. Sunday forecast is better, may get a chance to do a first run ops check at Willard. Might even take some fishing gear Smile

Fishing gear....never leave home without it!
(03-21-2020, 03:30 PM)wyoguy Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 11:43 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

Fishing gear....never leave home without it!

Was cold out this morning at Willard south. Air temp 33, water temp 42.7, very light breeze making small chop. Motor started right up, pretty quiet. Figured out the tiller controls prettyt quick. Got out in the main body of lake about 500 yards. Were 2 other boat trailers in the lot, but they were either way out at the edges or far enough north they were out of my sight.  Throttled up the new motor, at about 50%, bow came way up. Hit the trim and it came down. Did a steady increase to full throttle, and trimed motor til it wouldn't go any further down. Bow came up on plane almost perfectly.  But with added weight of new motor and my 230 lbs. in the back of the boat, I'm glad I decided to leave the 120 lbs. of balast sand bags in the bow. Was just about a perfect balance. 
Ran full throttle about half way to west wall with just a light breeze almost head on, little Tin-Can scooted along about 15 to 16 mph.  Did a 180 and ran toward east wall (Freeway Bay) wind at my back. Got up to just over 19 mph.  That's about 2.5 times faster than the top speed of the old 15 hp. 
Dropped back down to lowest throttle setting and can cruise / troll at 2.5  BEAUTIFUL Big Grin 
Put motor in N, deployed the trolling plate, went back into forward at "just in gear" throttle setting. Can troll down to .80 - .90 mph. That's just about perfect.   New motor at full throttle is quieter than the old 15 hp at low throttle.  
I think the Tin-Can is ready, now for just a bit warmer weather.................Cool

Cool
Just add fish.
Any time you need ballast in the front, my friend...
(03-21-2020, 09:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Just add fish.

I'm sure I will, eventually

Cool
Nice set up similar to my Lund 16, you will like having to be able to trim the motor, especially when you leave the south ramp area at WB.