Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Flies??
Hey guys!

I really struggled at finding flies that worked at Deer Creek last weekend. I saw some midges hatching throughout the day but I got no love on any of my patterns. 

Does anyone have good patterns especially for midges that have worked? Thanks!

Kyle
I have had some success with the Griffiths gnat, ugly, and the good old prince nymph in sizes 10-16.
Are you fishing from shore or in a kick boat?
Good luck!
I haven't specifically fished Deer Creek ice-off, but in my experience in numerous other lakes...you want to go with bugger/leeches and chronomids. Slow strip or under and indicator usually is best. Good luck!
(04-03-2020, 02:46 PM)kjox21 Wrote: Hey guys!

I really struggled at finding flies that worked at Deer Creek last weekend. I saw some midges hatching throughout the day but I got no love on any of my patterns. 

Kyle

Early season when the midges are just getting going, better action usually comes on leech patterns for me. When water temps are in upper 30s/low 40s - the Balanced Leech dangling below an indicator is hard to beat. Once the chironomids (midges) really get going - and it's close now - fish will key on the ascending pupae. I've attached some of the patterns that have worked well for me on local lakes/reservoirs. Fish 'em below an indicator and experiment with the depth until you start hitting fish. Many times the zone 7-8 ft below an indicator is a good starting place if keeping it simple, fishing from shore. I usually fish them 2 at a time and the upper fly is almost always the Chromie. After they turn off the chironomids, go back to the leech to extend the bite. Check out videos/lessons by Brian Chan and Phil Rowley... these guys are the undisputed kings of fishing chironomids.
[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Balanced-Leech.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Chromie.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Static-Bomber.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Static-Watermelon.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Zucchini.jpg]
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
This is all good advice, and I've actually started tying some of the patterns mentioned above after hearing similar recommendations from these folks.

One thing I'd add is that I subscribe to the slogan that you should change depth before you change flies.  If you aren't getting any takes, my bet is that you should try different parts of the water column (and try different parts of the reservoir) before you switching flies.  I try to carry a rod with a floatin line and a second with either a sinking tip or a full sinking line, but you can add a few slip shots above your fly and get smilar variation in depth.
(04-04-2020, 05:16 AM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 02:46 PM)kjox21 Wrote: Hey guys!

Kyle

Early season when the midges are just getting going, better action usually comes on leech patterns for me. When water temps are in upper 30s/low 40s - the Balanced Leech dangling below an indicator is hard to beat. Once the chironomids (midges) really get going - and it's close now - fish will key on the ascending pupae. I've attached some of the patterns that have worked well for me on local lakes/reservoirs. Fish 'em below an indicator and experiment with the depth until you start hitting fish. Many times the zone 7-8 ft below an indicator is a good starting place if keeping it simple, fishing from shore. I usually fish them 2 at a time and the upper fly is almost always the Chromie. After they turn off the chironomids, go back to the leech to extend the bite. Check out videos/lessons by Brian Chan and Phil Rowley... these guys are the undisputed kings of fishing chironomids.
[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Balanced-Leech.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Chromie.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Static-Bomber.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Static-Watermelon.jpg] [Image: Recipe-chironomid-Zucchini.jpg]
Thanks for posting Joe!

I've had success with balanced leeches there, I'll give those midges a shot. 

I've actaully attended a few of Rowley's and Chan's seminars. Those guys are the best!

But I think we face particular challenges fishing reservoirs that you don't in natural lakes.
(04-06-2020, 06:47 PM)kjox21 Wrote: Thanks for posting Joe!

I've had success with balanced leeches there, I'll give those midges a shot. 

I've actaully attended a few of Rowley's and Chan's seminars. Those guys are the best!

But I think we face particular challenges fishing reservoirs that you don't in natural lakes.
You're absolutely right. Reservoirs with steep dropping shorelines and fluctuating water levels are not ideal conditions for quality trout fisheries. Chironomids are really key to the whole thing and steady water levels with marl (clay-like) bottoms are the foundations needed for establishing the massive midge populations that trout grow big and fat on.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring