Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Dakota Bass Fishing?
I was looking on some fishing reports and forums and saw some picture of largemouth bass that were huge caught on Roy Lake. I've never been to Roy Lake, so if anyone has any info on the lake or any other good SD bass fishing lakes, let me know Smile
[signature]
I lived in Spearfish for 12 years and fished a lot of bass ponds around the western part of the state. Never heard of Roy Lake though. Is it in the eastern part of the state?

If you're gonna be fishing the western part, shoot me a PM & I'll send ya back come GPS coordinates on good spots. Mostly farm ponds.
[signature]
From what i have found out about the lake, its right by a place called lake city in the north eastern part of the state.
I first found out about roy lake when i was browsing some really great fishing report sites for north and south dakota, here are the links if you are interested.

im also really interesting in these farm ponds you are talking about because in north dakota in my area, we havnt had much success with any farm ponds that i know of, so that information would be awesome if you could get me some.
thanks!
[signature]
Here's the GPS coordinates for a couple places I've done very well. The first one is northeast of Mud Butte SD & when you head for it you'll begin to think you're gonna drive off the edge of the world. Last time I was there it was sure worth the trip.

45 deg. 10' 37.73" N, 102 deg. 39' 58.73" W

This one sees a lot more pressure but it's got LM bass, Northern Pike, Walleye, Perch & Bluegill. It's just a few miles north of Newell SD.

44 deg. 50' 20.84" N, 103 deg. 23' 26.45" W

Good luck & as soon as I can get some others I'll send 'em to ya.
[signature]
What part of South Dakota do you live in? I know a few places in Eastern and Western South Dakota that are decent for bass.
[signature]
hey geezer,
when im fishing bass i really like fishing a lot of cover (weed beds, lily pads, timber, all that good stuff)
what place would you say has the best of that to offer??
[signature]
Actually i live in north dakota, but i plan on taking some trips in the near future to try some bass fishing in south dakota. The more information i get will determine what area i might try.
From lakes and ponds that i have found so far have been in the north eastern part of south dakota so if you have any that you think are decent around there, be sure and let me know
thanks![Smile]
[signature]
Haven't fished to far north and east but around Mitchell there is some decent fishing. Carthage Lake near Carthage has some nice large mouth bass. Mitchell Lake in Mitchell has some nice large mouth and in Firesteel Creek where it comes out of Mitchell I have done really well for smallmouths up to around 2 pounds in early-mid June when there is water coming over the spill way. In eastern South Dakota have gotten some real nice small mouths out of Angastoura Reservoir and some nice largemouths our of Newell Lake.
[signature]
What is a decent size largemouth around there where you fish?
[signature]
Well for the largemouth it has been about 15 years since I hit the lakes in Eastern SD but I call decent larges anything over 15 inches some going close to 5 pounds in both lakes mentioned. Newell Lake I hit 2 years ago so and they were going upto about 3 1/2 pounds on the large mouth. Angastoura 2 years ago smallies upto 2 1/2 pounds.
[signature]
Well i'm def. gonna have to check this stuff out. I'll let you know more of what i plan on fishing when i start making plans closer to this summer.
Thanks again for the info!! [Smile]
[signature]
The first place has a lot of what you like. By the way, are you taking a boat or bank fishing it? The first place isn't very big & there's no improved boat ramp. A little cartopper type boat would be sweet there. The place is just made for a tube or toon. One thing, Don't go here soon after much of a rain. The roads that aren't gravelled turn to snot.

The second place is Newell Lake & it's got some pretty nice cover on the north side & up in the west end. It's got a nice ramp but does see a few skiiers on summer weekends.
[signature]
well i do have a float tube but i'm looking into maybe a little aluminum boat to get me around a little better this summer.
i'm sure, depending on the shore line, i would fish from the bank if there is some good spots to work from.
[signature]
The whole shoreline is good to fish from. Back up the draw on the north end there's cover galore. Old trees, stumps & lotsa vegetation.
[signature]
Well that sounds like some water i need to fish haha [cool]

you gave me the location but what is the name for this place??
[signature]
I don't really know for sure. I think I heard somebody call it the CCC dam but dunno if that's it or not.
[signature]
well it sounds really interesting and im sure i'll be able to come check these places out closer to this summer.
so if you have any more info on these areas or you have more just post it here or let me know
thanks!![Smile]
[signature]
There are a lot of bass lakes in NE South Dakota. Roy has a good bunch of smallies. Horseshoe is another one. I plan to fish Roy this year and maybe some others. All of the Missouri River lakes in the state have Small mouth. I don't know of any largemouth in Oahe, but there are some in the others below it. Get one of the SDGFP fishing regulation books and they list most bodies of water and what species are in them.
[signature]
Regarding the fishing at the pond out in the middle of nowhere, the one I thought was called the CCC dam. Forget it! I was there a couple weeks ago & the drought has hit that area big time. The pond is only about 10% of what it was the last time I was there. About the only thing alive in it is about 5,000 turtles.
[signature]
Which ones do yu fish? I have been hitting Lk. Sharpe quite a bit this year. I love them smallies. I'm planning a trip to Roy in late Sept or early Oct. Any advise??? I only fish CPR (catch photo release) Never fished for Walleye and the like.
[signature]