Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Dell 4-22-20
Hit Little Dell again this morning. Did much better than my last time out. All cutts were caught nymphing and were wide in the shoulders and heavy. [Image: IMG-E6923.jpg] [Image: IMG-E6939.jpg] [Image: IMG-E6933.jpg] [Image: IMG-E6936.jpg]
(04-22-2020, 09:20 PM)Riffle Wrote: Hit Little Dell again this morning. Did much better than my last time out. All cutts were caught nymphing and were wide in the shoulders and heavy. [Image: IMG-E6923.jpg] [Image: IMG-E6939.jpg] [Image: IMG-E6933.jpg] [Image: IMG-E6936.jpg]

Nice! Looks like they've strapped on the feed bags.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Those look like good fish.  I'm sure the weather mellowing out some really helped on the catch rate.  Looking forward to heading up there again soon.  My first couple trips chucking spinners have been slow, but the weather was on and off at that time.  What did you catch them on?  Size? Color?
(04-23-2020, 05:42 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Those look like good fish.  I'm sure the weather mellowing out some really helped on the catch rate.  Looking forward to heading up there again soon.  My first couple trips chucking spinners have been slow, but the weather was on and off at that time.  What did you catch them on?  Size? Color?

I've had the most takes on a hot pink beadhead, black zebra, size 14 or 16. They seem to key in on the hot pink against the black. Attached are some recent pictures of what they were feeding on.
[Image: IMG-6942.jpg] [Image: IMG-6945.jpg]
Thanks Riffle. Might head out there tomorrow and see how it goes. Are you fishing the midges under an indicator and just drifting with the wind?
(04-24-2020, 07:20 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Thanks Riffle. Might head out there tomorrow and see how it goes. Are you fishing the midges under an indicator and just drifting with the wind?

My setup is usually about 5 ft of 6lb fluoro under an indicator, micro swivel, 6-8" tag off the swivel to a nymph, then another 18 - 24 inches of 4lb fluoro off the swivel to my point fly. Usually dead drift with occasional twitch when conditions are dead calm. Good luck, let me know how you do. The fish can be very fickle in Little Dell, but patience usually pays off.
(04-23-2020, 06:03 PM)Riffle Wrote: I've had the most takes on a hot pink beadhead, black zebra, size 14 or 16. They seem to key in on the hot pink against the black. Attached are some recent pictures of what they were feeding on.
[Image: IMG-6942.jpg] [Image: IMG-6945.jpg]
Interesting early seasion diet... heavy dose of Daphina with a side of Blood Worms (midge larvae).

Thanks for posting these!
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Great insight about the midges!  i'll have to start tying something like that once we resume going to fly shops.  Thanks for the post