Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting my 2020 gardening season started
I haven't really started my garden for this year but with the secondary water now on and a big warm up coming next week, I'll likely get it planted. I have tilled my garden boxes and put in a load of manure. I'll get some pics posted after I'm done and get this 2020 growing season started.
Nice, I have a bunch of stuff (trees and vegetables) to get planted this week. Wish me and my shovel luck...
Finally got a chance to post my garden pics, here they are:

[Image: 100-3293.jpg]

[Image: 100-3294.jpg]

[Image: 100-3295.jpg]
Hey I see your growing a house in your garden they are a bad weed and hard to get rid of  Tongue
(06-07-2020, 02:03 PM)mme1 Wrote: Hey I see your growing a house in your garden they are a bad weed and hard to get rid of  Tongue

Yea, it is very disappointing, that house/ condo is right where my garden use to be before they decided to develop that land. It was so hard to go from a monster garden I had there, to the small little grow boxes I have now. On the plus side, the greenhouse I now have up in Idaho would not be possible,without them developing that land. The part I'm really going to hate is that condo is a two story building, so when they are finished and people buy it they will be looking straight down into my back yard Sad .
16 days later from my last garden pics, things are improving but some plants never came up, so I had to go out and buy some today. Bought a watermelon plant, a couple of cuke plants and a couple of buttercup plants. Snow peas are flowering, zucchini are too, the rest as a ways to go. Peaches are looking good and my English walnut tree is really growing good.

[Image: 100-3327.jpg]

[Image: 100-3328.jpg]

[Image: 100-3329.jpg]

[Image: 100-3330.jpg]

[Image: 100-3331.jpg]

[Image: 100-3332.jpg]
It will be an adjustment having folks living closer behind you, but a lot of new subdivisions going in all over have the same issue as well. Looks like they're making progress on those condos, and maybe they won't see perfectly into your yard due to distance but still more than what have had had for sure. Your peaches are looking good. The irises have filled in nicely and with the cherry tree removed now I bet they really liked getting bit more sun. I plan to thin ours out some more once they stop blooming.
(06-22-2020, 03:21 PM)jjannie Wrote: It will be an adjustment having folks living closer behind you, but a lot of new subdivisions going in all over have the same issue as well. Looks like they're making progress on those condos, and maybe they won't see perfectly into your yard due to distance but still more than what have had had for sure. Your peaches are looking good. The irises have filled in nicely and with the cherry tree removed now I bet they really liked getting bit more sun. I plan to thin ours out some more once they stop blooming.

They are two story condos, so when the one is finished behind my house, they will be able to look right down into my back yard Sad.  From my back yard fence to the condo, it's around 10 yds. The first set of condos they finished have already been sold and people are already living in them. 
Yes, with that cherry tree gone everything is doing better, the walnut tree has almost doubled in size and everything in my garden box that was in the shade of the cherry tree before is growing much better.
(06-22-2020, 03:21 PM)jjannie Wrote: It will be an adjustment having folks living closer behind you, but a lot of new subdivisions going in all over have the same issue as well. Looks like they're making progress on those condos, and maybe they won't see perfectly into your yard due to distance but still more than what have had had for sure. Your peaches are looking good. The irises have filled in nicely and with the cherry tree removed now I bet they really liked getting bit more sun. I plan to thin ours out some more once they stop blooming.

Here are some more pics of one of my garden boxes and what I picked today, you can also see how big that condo is now that they are starting on the second floor. The one pic was taken standing by my back fence, so you can see how close it is.

[Image: 100-3337.jpg]

[Image: 100-3338.jpg]

[Image: 100-3339.jpg]
Our squash isn't yet ready for picking but we've harvested all of our first batch of pea pods and started growing our next ones. Think we don't start staying a bit warmer overnight it'll be struggle all summer. Hopefully one more night of mid 40s then we should get back to the 50s and hopefully higher once again, fingers crossed.

Yeah those condos behind you are closer than I had thought they'd be. Bummer.
(06-30-2020, 12:55 PM)jjannie Wrote: Our squash isn't yet ready for picking but we've harvested all of our first batch of pea pods and started growing our next ones. Think we don't start staying a bit warmer overnight it'll be struggle all summer. Hopefully one more night of mid 40s then we should get back to the 50s and hopefully higher once again, fingers crossed.

Yeah those condos behind you are closer than I had thought they'd be. Bummer.

Pretty crazy to be that cold this late in June. Do you have any squash growing in your GH?
No squash in our GH, only in the bales. Hopefully last nights 44* will be our last one until late fall. Seems every year its something - too much rain... too little rain - too hot or too cold, etc.
Looks like my snow peas are done, got 30 pods at the beginning of the week only got 3 today but the zucchini are doing great.
[Image: 100-3354.jpg] 

My buttercup and cucumber plants have finally started to grow too.

[Image: 100-3355.jpg]
Looks like you're right, many of our plants have started taking off with this heat. The melons have finally started blooming, but no fruit on them yet. the SP are taking off nicer than have been doing - really hope we get good a crop of them this year. We have so many 'new' experiments this year it'll be interesting to see what grows/produces best and what location does the best.
(07-19-2020, 04:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: Looks like you're right, many of our plants have started taking off with this heat. The melons have finally started blooming, but no fruit on them yet. the SP are taking off nicer than have been doing - really hope we get good a crop of them this year. We have so many 'new' experiments this year it'll be interesting to see what grows/produces best and what location does the best.
 Here is my latest pic from my back yard. Leaving right now.

[Image: 100-3371.jpg]

[Image: 100-3372.jpg]

[Image: 100-3373.jpg]
Hasn't changed that much since last month but here is what I just took from my garden boxes and some grapes. Here is the order of the pics.
1. garden box #1
2. carrots
3. yellow squash
4. kale
[Image: 100-3392.jpg]

[Image: 100-3393.jpg]

[Image: 100-3394.jpg]

[Image: 100-3395.jpg]

5. garden box #2 zucchini
6. green beans
7.cucumber
8. buttercup