Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a spotting scope a necessity for NM elk?
Hey all, Just drew my first elk tag and I’m new to hunting New Mexico. My hunting experience is within 100 yards back East. Have a decent set of 10x42 binos and my rifle scope is a 4-16x50. Do you guys strongly recommend I get a spotting scope? Will it be a necessity for locating game in the distance? Thanks for your time?

EDIT: Links are not allowed for new members and are never allowed for the purpose of advertisement on this site, unless you pay for that right.
The spoting scopes not so much for finding game but it helps in deciding if you need to go over there or not, it alows  you to sit in one spot, glass with binos and then get the detail of what is exactly there, it lets you see if those horns you seen in the binos are that big.

Think of it as the difference from your naked eye to using binos to get the detail of what your lookiing at.

When it comes to optics, everyone is diffrent, we  all see diffreent, the biggest thing is well money, look at your buget then go look through everything in that buget, see if they will let you take them outside to look its way diffrent than in the store, then look for pricing online to get the best deal. pawn shops KSL.

I would defanatly recomend to get one,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-26-2020, 04:01 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: The spoting scopes not so much for finding game but it helps in deciding if you need to go over there or not, it alows  you to sit in one spot, glass with binos and then get the detail of what is exactly there, it lets you see if those horns you seen in the binos are that big.

Think of it as the difference from your naked eye to using binos to get the detail of what your lookiing at.

When it comes to optics, everyone is diffrent, we  all see diffreent, the biggest thing is well money, look at your buget then go look through everything in that buget, see if they will let you take them outside to look its way diffrent than in the store, then look for pricing online to get the best deal. pawn shops KSL.

I would defanatly recomend to get one,
I agree with Mike, If your hunting some big country and will be sporting critters far away, then a Spotting scope will be a great tool for you. Get something as nice as you can afford. If after your trip you find you do not have a need for it, you can always sell it and re coop a good share of your $$$. Good luck on your hunt.
Sad to say but this guy is likely a spammer, I edited three of his post where he posted links, after looking up his IP address, I found he was from India.
(07-26-2020, 09:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sad to say but this guy is likely a spammer, I edited three of his post where he posted links, after looking up his IP address, I found he was from India.
maybe he just got lucky on his tag, 

seems weird that he would ask that kind of question on this kind of website, its hard to figure what those guys want.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(07-27-2020, 02:45 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 09:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sad to say but this guy is likely a spammer, I edited three of his post where he posted links, after looking up his IP address, I found he was from India.
maybe he just got lucky on his tag, 

seems weird that he would ask that kind of question on this kind of website, its hard to figure what those guys want.
Some of these spammers go all out and get real creative, what they do is go on other forums, copy what someone else posted there, then come on this forum and paste what the copied. I found this out by stumbling across the exact post that was posted here from another forum. The way you can tell, the spammer almost always post a link. Somethings they start off not posting links, then go back and edit their post to add a link but in all cases they are not from the USA. We also get a lot of spammers from New York, the vast majority come from India but also Russia, china, iran, even england. Pretty crazy.
Good to know. I just don't understand what they get out of it.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(07-30-2020, 01:03 PM)catchinon Wrote: I just don't understand what they get out of it.

They want folks to click on their link.  The link could lead to a website where they want to sell something, perhaps get paid for clicks, or it could lead to downloading a virus, a bot or whatever.
Anyone that sees a new member posting links like that, please hit the report post button. Like Kent says, you never know what might happen by clicking on a link like that, you could get a virus on your computer, we all need to be aware of these spammers.