Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This site needs help.
Like you, I come to this site for the forums. I love to fish, and I enjoy reading about others' adventures fishing. I like the fishing reports, and the community that is represented here. We have a camraderie that extends well outside this forum into the real world. I appreciate the owners of bigfishtackle.com for hosting a forum on which we can build and strengthen our community.

That said, the problems with the site itself are approaching intolerable. The old version of the site was certainly not aging well, but it worked. I can appreciate that a new system will have bugs that take time to iron out, but I'm not seeing much improvement. I appreciate that the owners invested in the new site but it simply isn't working out. At this point I have no idea how many times I'll have to refresh in order to even see a post (or if I'll be able to get past the errors at all). I'm certain that a significant percentage of former participants have given up on even trying to get to the site, with all the database errors, timeouts, browser incompatibilities, and username issues.

I've spent more than 20 years in IT and IT security. I know my way around these things. I offered to help with the old site - pro bono - but was turned down. This community is important to me and I'm willing to volunteer my own time -- and even some expense -- to have a place where we can focus exclusively on Utah fishing and not have the technology get in the way of it all.

I'd be willing to commit personal skills I have (IT, security) to have the collective knowledge of the group stay vibrant (so that I can work on my less-than-outstanding fishing skills). I'm not sure this will be possible on the current site. If we don't figure out something soon, I'm afraid our community will decay until it is no longer sustainable. Too many other sites have suffered this fate.
Before this gets shoved down to the Off Topic forum, I agree. We were promised "all new and improved" and also that we'd all be really happy. Neither has come to pass. First the incredible fiasco of getting signed in, then the outages and the extremely slow load times. Not to mention the difficulties in picture posting.

I'm sure that advertisers (if any) are not happy to know that few are seeing what they pay for. And certainly that we members are unhappy enough to not visit at all. This could not have been done worse.
<quote option="&quot;RockyRaab2&quot; pid='1099820' dateline='1589575130'"><br />
Before this gets shoved down to the Off Topic forum, I agree. We were promised "all new and improved" and also that we'd all be really happy. Neither has come to pass. First the incredible fiasco of getting signed in, then the outages and the extremely slow load times. Not to mention the difficulties in picture posting.<br />
<br />
I'm sure that advertisers (if any) are not happy to know that few are seeing what they pay for. And certainly that we members are unhappy enough to not visit at all. This could not have been done worse.</quote><br />
Come on this has almost been as successful as New Coke.<br />
I was going to add a face but since this site froze up for a minute each time I tried, yes I being sarcastic. I still can't recover my original username but as someone on here for over 15 years and thousands of post, I've about ready to move on as well.
(05-15-2020, 06:53 PM)fishnotphish Wrote: That said, the problems with the site itself are approaching intolerable.
I am surprised at the tolerance the old steadfast users are showing at the dismal performance of the NEW UPGRADE.
Their tolerance in this matter seems to exceed the tolerance they exhibit to users posting what may seem to be some sort of fishing violation or holding a fish to close to the camera.
The number of daily posts is shrinking every day, and new users wouldn't think of tolerating the performance that is being delivered. Hacked Maybe or Maybe not, performance and a seemless transition to something better certainly was not delivered. We minght have more users but only because old users were forced to create new logins because the upgrade was piss pore at best. Hope things improve or this site wont last!
Yesterday, I exchanged emails with the owner.  You can rest assured that she is as frustrated as anyone for all of the problems that have been and continue to plague this site.  I hope somehow she is able to get the issues taken care of, because I certainly don't want to have to resort to becoming an active participant on one of the Facebook fishing forums.
the time it takes to load, omg,  it`s the slowest thing since dial up..... unbearable
THIS IS WHAT I GET EVERY TIME I TRY TO REPLY, OR CHANGE BETWEEN THREADS, ETC. 
I SURE HOPE THE OWNERS ARE NOT PAYING ANYTHING FOR THIS VERY POOR SERVICE. 

This site can’t be reachedbigfishtackle.com took too long to respond.Try: ERR_TIMED_OUT
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Bump to the top.

I agree with all of this.  The owner must be  Angry Angry
Well said everyone,  I believe its time for the resurrection of the old site,  I'm not very computer savvy but had no problem with the old site. Enough is enough. Looking for a new forum. Huh Huh
(05-16-2020, 03:26 AM)drpepper Wrote: Well said everyone,  I believe its time for the resurrection of the old site,  I'm not very computer savvy but had no problem with the old site. Enough is enough. Looking for a new forum. Huh Huh

To me, Big Fish Tackle is a fine group of people.  We enjoy fishing.  The technical issues are a small matter to me.  The thing I miss the most of what we had and abandoned even within our older site was the beautiful photographs.  When we did that, it was like a house burned down and losing all of the valuable memories and photographs.  I particularly enjoyed the excellent photography of Tie Dye Twins and thought of each one of them as being worthy of magazine covers and even better!  I'm weak on computer knowledge, but what I have observed over the years is computing power, and storage goes up fast while costs go down fast, so it was very puzzling that all of the value I so much enjoyed was deleted on purpose.  I didn't understand why no one agreed with me that we should have found a way to keep them.  I would use the search feature to look at pictures of places that I might visit and using them for my decisions on where to go next.  I miss that the most.  It was a valuable resource.  In fact, if our BFT website were to be sold, that would be the value that would make it's selling price more than anyone can imagine.

It's like TwilightZone to me that I saw that and no one else commented in agreement in the value of the pictures.  I also made some friends, but now I don't remember so much about past fishing trips with them with so much deleted.  I'm not complaining because everyone else was fine with it and participated in deleting.

People here are like family to me.  That's the real value, so I suppose I shouldn't be concerned.  Loss of family history is like a house with memories and photographs burned down.  Instead, I accept it and I'm just puzzled, but that's me, and a lot of things of society seem really odd to me.  That it's common doesn't make it less strange to me.  But, that's just me being different.
I may be new on paper to this site but I've followed and enjoyed for years. I'm just not  a very active kind of poster guy.  This is getting very difficult to try and enjoy any more. I'm sure there is many more out there like me!  Take some of f these people on this forum up on there offers to help. It would benifit all. This site just doesn't stand a chance with its current condition.  I'm just a bystander looking in but have always enjoyed reading. Tha tells ya how bad the problem is if I'm posting. 

Here's to a new begining I hope!!
Thanks, Kent. It's good to know that the owner is as frustrated as the rest of us.
Well the site is booming along right now. It's like someone gave an old arthritic a cortisone shot and now he's doing acrobatics. I know it has been tough. Like most good things though, it takes time and effort. It's easy to criticize and I have been privately disdainful myself, but I've hung in there, faithful that they would get it fixed. If you've been following along you have seen the steady improvements. My worry is that we are losing all the people who have marginal computer skills (that would be me) and who just couldn't exercise the patience to keep trying.

Anyway, here's to success! Keep up the good work.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.