Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running 4 stroke dry
I just changed to a four stroke this season. I’m curios if you folks 
Disconnect your fuel lines and until the motor runs out of fuel at the end
Of each trip. I did this regularly on my two stroke to avoid carb build up.
I now run only straight gas with out ethanol as well, thinking this might
Also help....
I agree, ethanol free gas is a must but I also use Sea Foam additive on both my main motor and my kicker motor and I never disconnect the gas line, to run out the fuel. At the end of the season I do marine Stabil.
I only use Lucas Marine fuel additive, I keep my boat in running condition 365 or until that last lake ices over and that's usually Bear L. But it doesn't stay capped for very long in most cases. Both of my motors Yamaha's 4strokes, the main is fuel injected which I don't pull the fuel line to run it dry. However my kicker is a carb model which I do pull fuel line to run dry. Just don't care to leave fuel sitting in the carb but that's my choice and old school mentality. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(06-06-2020, 01:19 PM)catfishbait Wrote: I just changed to a four stroke this season. I’m curios if you folks 
Also help....

I changed to 4 stroke about 10 years ago. (Yamaha 100 carbureted) On all my previous motors (all Mercury 2 strokes) I always ran the carb dry just like my Dad taught me to when I was a kid. However, I have never done it on my Yamaha and have never had any trouble in 10 years. I think the 2 stroke oil is the problem especially if it sits in there for a while. (Think snowmobiles sitting all summer) Anyway another factor that I'm sure helps it that my boat stays inside the garage always plus I use it year round so the gas is never very old.
I have a 2 stroke outboard and a 4 stroke kicker. I run mid-grade gas (not ethanol free) and do not run them dry. I regularly add Sea Foam and Marine Stabil at the end of the year and occasionally during the year. I used to pay the exorbitant price for ethanol free gas; however, Lee, at Lee's Marine, told me that ethanol free gas was not necessary and I have never had an issue with my two outboards related to the fuel I use.
I have a 40 hp Mercury and I have never ran it dry. I do put fuel stabilizer in most of the time. It has always started right up.
(06-06-2020, 01:19 PM)catfishbait Wrote: I just changed to a four stroke this season. I’m curios if you folks 
Also help....
you could do what you are talking about at the end of each year but it is not necessary to do it every trip , it's never necessary
if its fuel injected
There are so many benefits to ethanol-free fuel: Better fuel mileage, more power per gallon, longer shelf life, etc.
Too bad ethanol free gas SHOULD only cost 10 cents more per gallon.
(05-11-2021, 12:38 AM)MrShane Wrote: There are so many benefits to ethanol-free fuel: Better fuel mileage, more power per gallon, longer shelf life, etc.
Too bad ethanol free gas SHOULD only cost 10 cents more per gallon.
You are so right about getting better gas mileage on ethanol free gas(EFG). A few years ago, I finally drew out on my desert bighorn sheep permit and because it was in the Zion unit, I felt my old truck wasn't up to the task of driving back and forth to Southern Utah. So I bought a new to me truck and it got terrible gas mileage 10 mpg. I started off with the normal issues air filter, tire pressure, I saw some slight improvement but not much. Then a friend told me about using EFG, and my gas mileage jumped to 16 mph, I was totally amazed but I wasn't convinced, so I went back to ethanol gas and my gas mileage dropped to what it was before. Now, when I take to the road in my truck, L only use EFG. Same i my boat and even my lawn mower. I haven't tried it in my car because it gets around 40 mpg but maybe I should try it once to see if it helps. You are right, it shouldn't be over 10 cents a gallon more, IMO 30 cents a gallon more, is outrageous.
On the fuel pumps it shouldn’t say “this fuel contains 10% ethanol”.
It should read “ we are screwing you over by only selling you 90% fuel, the remainder is a sugary alcohol concoction”.