Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas for 2-stroke
I'm still pretty green about my boat I bought last fall. It has a 90 hp Tracker (Mercury) 2-stroke that is 20 years old. What kind of gas should I be using in it? Do I have to use some kind of additive? What maintenance do I need to do on it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I always use ethanol free gas and an additive like Sea Foam on every tank. Then in the Fall I run Stabil in it, on the last few trips of the season.
(06-08-2020, 07:59 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I always use ethanol free gas and an additive like Sea Foam on every tank. Then in the Fall I run Stabil in it, on the last few trips of the season.
What he said, sea foam has stabil stuff in it, I get my gas at FAST GAS north end of spanish, and always sea foam, I have found that if I use the genuine merc 2 stroke oil it runs better, cost a bit more but I have had less problems since.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks you two. Does the octane matter? I've just used the 85/regular.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yep, run the 91 in it, it'll make a huge difference. It does in the neighbors old wore out boat and I use it in my ice auger and don't have any problems.
(06-09-2020, 12:37 AM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks you two. Does the octane matter? I've just used the 85/regular.

I've only seen ethanol free gas in 88 octane. Any other gas that isn't ethanol free, will get water in it over time, because of condensation, so it isn't a good choice for any thing that sits for long periods of time.
(06-09-2020, 10:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 12:37 AM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks you two. Does the octane matter? I've just used the 85/regular.

I've only seen ethanol free gas in 88 octane. Any other gas that isn't ethanol free, will get water in it over time, because of condensation, so it isn't a good choice for any thing that sits for long periods of time.

Most stations that have none ethanol is 88 octane. There is one in Farr West across the Cal Ranch that has non ethanol 91 octane.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Thanks, Bduck. If I ever make it up to Willard I'll stop and get some.