Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield from shore
Getting back into fly fishing after making the move to Utah. Tried out Deer Creek last week using spinning tackle and was reminded why I started fly fishing. Won’t be braking out the float tube for a couple of weeks but need to check out a few lakes each week till then. I’ve used intermediate sinking line mostly in the past but never from shore (never used the fly rod from shore) stripping buggers etc. can this be a productive set up and method at a lake like Scofield? I’ve never used the indicator method either and this is something I need to play with also. Any pointers or advice will be great. Also where would one try at Scofield?
I use a float tube mostly but occasionally I fish from shore.  I like to use a sink-tip for shore fishing.  It gives you some weight on the end to be able to cast with a breeze and it also gets the fly down near the bottom while you strip it back in.  If you don't have a sink-tip you could either add a split shot to your leader on the intermediate line or floating line, anything to get the fly down a little deeper.  The usual buggers and leech patterns in sizes 6-10 will all produce at Scofield.  Indicator fishing also works well there but I don't like sitting still long enough to catch anything. Tongue

Some of the best places to fish from shore are the walk-in-access area (you need to get a WIA number - it's free on the DWR web site) on the west side of the reservoir, the rocky point off the main State Park.  There is also an area across from the State Park that is doable.  With the high water level it makes access along the east side difficult and the dam cove is fairly steep making casting tough.  If you have waders there are several more areas that are shallow that you could also access.

There are a lot of fish in Scofield so you should have a good chance at scoring a few.

Good luck when you go.