Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - tubing
Had a couple of nice trips to the Berry recently from the tube. Getting there early and getting off FAST as the wind comes up after lunch has been the plan. Doing real well on 17-20 inch Cutt's with a smattering of Rainbows mixed in... 1 slot-buster (24-in Cutt).

Chironomids have been hatching well... some true "buzzers" in the (hook) size 10-12 range! Callibaetis started showing up last weekend and I suspect damselflies as well seeing boils tight against the weedy shorelines.

Doing most of our damage casting to pods of porpoises with #14 Rickard's Callibaetis Nymph and/or A.P. Emerger. Creeping along the littoral zone after the shallow bite fades using combinations of Boobies, Estaz Buggers, and nymph patterns paying off as well.

Water temp had gotten up to 60* F, but probably dropped off a bit over these past few days.

[Image: 00-sunrise.jpg]

[Image: 04-Joe-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 05-Joe-cutt.jpg][Image: 01-Rainbow.jpg]
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Looks like fun! I need to get up there!
Beautiful fish. What line are you using? Where would you launch?
Spectacular pictures! Thanks for the informative report.
(06-09-2020, 05:19 PM)Sharknado Wrote: Beautiful fish. What line are you using? Where would you launch?

I carry two rods, both 9ft 5WT... 1st rigged w/ floating line, 2nd rigged with intermediate slow-sinking line (1.5 in/sec). Also have a 2nd reel along with Type II sinking line.

Lots of places to launch... some free, some pay. This one is on East Portal Bay SW of the Marina. Not sure of the exact name but the map shows it as Chaplain Point?

I've never gone over to the Soldier Creek side, but understand that there are more (free) tube friendly launch spots there? Just going by what I've read on here over the years actually. Mud Creek is another popular free spot to put in. Ladders might be free as well?

Strawberry is a massive reservoir. If new to it, my suggestion would be to focus on a small area... treat it like a pond within the lake. Take your lumps early, but keep at it, learn the nuances, and you'll be killin' em in no time.
Nice fish and report! I've never nymphed strawberry, but need to try. Just curious, are you nymphing under an indicator (vertical) or using washing line set up and fishing horizontal? Or maybe using a midge tip? Fishing over weed beds near the shore? How is the water over at East Portal? Every time I fished over there it seemed like there was a lot of moss in the water.
(06-10-2020, 08:40 PM)Riffle Wrote: Nice fish and report! I've never nymphed strawberry, but need to try. Just curious, are you nymphing under an indicator (vertical) or using washing line set up and fishing horizontal? Or maybe using a midge tip? Fishing over weed beds near the shore? How is the water over at East Portal? Every time I fished over there it seemed like there was a lot of moss in the water.

Fishing the nymphs and emergers on a floating line for the most part. 12 ft leader... short twitches (or series of twitches) with long pause in between.

Also creep along with them on the slow sinking line. Kind of trolling... but barely moving.

Only flies I use with indicators are chironomids (pupa patterns) and balanced leech patterns. Super effective when conditions call for it.

Fish are shallow early on (2-4 FOW)... then dropping a bit deeper as the morning wears on. Even then, still a fair amount cruising and picking morsels out of the surface film.

Here's that Callibaetis Nymph... killer spring-to-fall
[Image: 12-Callibaetis-Nymph.jpg]
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to try that technique next time I'm up there. What materials do you use to tie that nymph? It looks real buggy - size 10 to 12?
(06-10-2020, 11:36 PM)Riffle Wrote: Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to try that technique next time I'm up there. What materials do you use to tie that nymph? It looks real buggy - size 10 to 12?

It's a Denny Rickards pattern. All his flies are killer stillwater patterns. This picture should have the recipe on it. I tie them on nymph hooks (2X LG) in 12 & 14:
[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Callibaetis-Nymph.jpg]

This one too (Rickards pattern)... the A.P. Emerger... never leave home without it

[Image: Recipe-stillwater-AP-Emerger.jpg]
(06-09-2020, 04:09 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote: Had a couple of nice trips to the Berry recently from the tube. Getting there early and getting off FAST as the wind comes up after lunch has been the plan. Doing real well on 17-20 inch Cutt's with a smattering of Rainbows mixed in... 1 slot-buster (24-in Cutt).

Chironomids have been hatching well... some true "buzzers" in the (hook) size 10-12 range! Callibaetis started showing up last weekend and I suspect damselflies as well seeing boils tight against the weedy shorelines.

Doing most of our damage casting to pods of porpoises with #14 Rickard's Callibaetis Nymph and/or A.P. Emerger. Creeping along the littoral zone after the shallow bite fades using combinations of Boobies, Estaz Buggers, and nymph patterns paying off as well.

Water temp had gotten up to 60* F, but probably dropped off a bit over these past few days.

[Image: 00-sunrise.jpg]

[Image: 04-Joe-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 05-Joe-cutt.jpg][Image: 01-Rainbow.jpg]
Thanks for the report, sounds like some greats trips!
Strong bite continues at Strawberry... water temps still in the mid-50s and the Cutt's are hunting shallow and fired up! Got into my backing 4 times this morning before calling it quits at 11:30.

Kicked off of shore at 5:40a and it was on right off the bat casting Denny's Stillwater Bug on a floating line. Moving flies a bit faster now to turn the trick... (quickly) strip-2-3-4, strip-2-3-4, etc.

Trolling a 2-fly combo of Carey's Special and Tequila Booby between locations ended up accounting for most of the fish - including all of the Rainbows.

Chironomid hatch wasn't super heavy this morning, but egg-laying adults and hatching pupae still driving the activity along with what appeared to be some kind of micro-caddis.

Around 10:30-11:00 the Callibaetis nymphs started bobbing to the surface and duns were on the water. Fairly concentrated activity but didn't seem to ignite the fish which surprised me. Maybe the dawn bite was so intense that the fish burned themselves out by the time the mayflies showed up? Smile 

11:30a I was tired of fighting wind and the bite faded so I packed it in.
Sounds like a great time, and glad they are still making things interesting! Curious whether either of the patterns you listed are sold locally (Sportsman's, Cabelas, etc). I used to tie flies, but got out of it a while back. Always nice to have a couple go-to patterns, no doubt
(06-23-2020, 09:35 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Sounds like a great time, and glad they are still making things interesting!  Curious whether either of the patterns you listed are sold locally (Sportsman's, Cabelas, etc).  I used to tie flies, but got out of it a while back.  Always nice to have a couple go-to patterns, no doubt

Best bet might be Fly Fish Food in Orem. Fairly new fly shop and absolutely amazing... great bunch of guys running things too. If anyone has odd "lake" flies, it would be them. Sportsman's, Cabela's, etc. tend to stick to the mainstream stuff IMO.

Here are some of the flies working yesterday:
[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Carey-Special-modified.jpg]

[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Stillwater-Bug.jpg]

[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Tequila-Booby.jpg]
Man I miss that place....thanks for sharing!
Flirted with the idea of going to the Uintas today, but the pull of big fish and screaming drags was too powerful to ignore, so back to The Berry I went...

Had to work a little more for the fish today, but was able to put an even dozen in the net. Water temp in early afternoon was only 56* F. With cooler weather in the forecast, its looking like this action will hold up into July.

Mixed collection of chironomids kept the fish on top under mostly cloudy skies all morning. Once it really brightens up they seem to move out over the edge of deeper water, but are still feeding shallow. Everything I caught was within 2ft of the surface.

Stillwater Bug was working first half of the morning. First Cutt to hit the net was a thick 20-incher that coughed up a 5-inch chub. Quick twitch-pause retrieve was getting them to strike.

Trolling the Tequila Booby between spots ended up accounting for most of the fish - including all the Rainbows. Even had one fish slam it on the surface just as I started to retrieve it.

Surface of the water was just littered with chironomid shucks and callibaetis nymphs around lunch time, but couldn't get anything going on various mayfly nymph or emerger patterns. Strange.

[Image: 01-Berry.jpg]

[Image: 02-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 03-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 04-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 07-rainbow.jpg]

[Image: 09-rainbow.jpg]
(06-27-2020, 04:32 AM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote: Flirted with the idea of going to the Uintas today, but the pull of big fish and screaming drags was too powerful to ignore, so back to The Berry I went...

Had to work a little more for the fish today, but was able to put an even dozen in the net. Water temp in early afternoon was only 56* F. With cooler weather in the forecast, its looking like this action will hold up into July.

Mixed collection of chironomids kept the fish on top under mostly cloudy skies all morning. Once it really brightens up they seem to move out over the edge of deeper water, but are still feeding shallow. Everything I caught was within 2ft of the surface.

Stillwater Bug was working first half of the morning. First Cutt to hit the net was a thick 20-incher that coughed up a 5-inch chub. Quick twitch-pause retrieve was getting them to strike.

Trolling the Tequila Booby between spots ended up accounting for most of the fish - including all the Rainbows. Even had one fish slam it on the surface just as I started to retrieve it.

Surface of the water was just littered with chironomid shucks and callibaetis nymphs around lunch time, but couldn't get anything going on various mayfly nymph or emerger patterns. Strange.

[Image: 01-Berry.jpg]

[Image: 02-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 03-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 04-cutt.jpg]

[Image: 07-rainbow.jpg]

[Image: 09-rainbow.jpg]

Great report and pictures!
Thanks for the report. I was up a few days ago and had tied some callibaetis emergers on your recommendation. I arrived about 6:00 but besides one early take, they seemed to be going better after about an hour and half. Even after the sun was up, a slight breeze would create a little disturbance in the water and everyone would hook up at about the same time. (There were a couple of other tubes around.)

I'm in the office now but obviously thinking about fishing. I might try the evening tonight -- just to see.
For sure lots of people around. I was pushed out of my rainbow spot by a boat that was fishing power bait 3 feet down. Thought it rude of them to run across the lake and set up where right there. I moved across the bay and went deep. Caught 30 cuts 18-21" and a few rainbows that went home to eat. All in all a great fishing day despite tons of people. All though the bit will continue with cold weather, I think the remote lakes and less people are calling.
Fished yesterday from 5:30a to 12:30p under clear skies and light breezes. Water temp was 53* F when I launched and 58* F when I left. Looks like the sustained heat has finally arrived though, so not sure how long these perfect temps will last.

Pretty much a repeat of previous trip... noses appeared around 7:00a and the fishing got hot after that. Strong chironomid hatch fueled the frenzy and pods of fish ignited the action between 8:00-9:30. Lots of tiny caddis hatching as well. 

Stillwater Bug was getting them early... late morning started hitting nice Rainbows on the Carey Special. It was on/off the rest of the way until I packed it in shortly after lunch. Callibaetis nymphs started popping up around 11:30-12:00 but again, this fish didn't really jump onto them like I would expect (Little Dell boils when the mayflies come off).

One of the bullet-shaped Rainbows that tore into my backing:
[Image: 107377899-4246898085350987-2364735972313716474-o.jpg]
Thanks for keeping us updated. Another beautiful picture! I'll try tying a few carey specials. I have had other recommendations for similar looking flies at strawberry. Once someone gave me a kind of renegade-like pattern except tied with a green chenille, and I found it did catch some fish. I wonder how much these variations matter and how much it's just having something at the right level in the water column?

I haven't been out for a few days, but I was till catching a few on dries -- mostly ants -- as of last Friday evening.