Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking about Tomatoes
I've been a lover of home grown tomatoes all my life.  There's nothing as delicous as a BLT in the summer when tomatoes are on.

I lived next door to a farmer that grew tomatoes, that I would buy from him.  I noticed his plants were like small bushes and not all strung out to 10 feet or so.  I had always had to cage them as they grew to contain them.

I asked him what kind of plants he grew, and he told me it was a new variety called DX-5212.  I thought what a strange name for tomatoes.  He told me they had been developed at Dixie State University by crossing a Moscow with a Roma tomatoe.  He had the local greenhouse start the plants for him.  He also told me I could probably buy my plants from them if I went in early to get them. That's been 10 years ago.

They are the best tomatoes I have ever eaten.  If I plant 18 plants, I'll get maybe 3 - 4 Roma bushes, and 12 Large Moscow tomatoe plants.  The yeald is huge for such little bush plants.  The tomatoes are mostly large and meaty, but when it comes to canning them the Romas work in wonderful for sauce or salsa.

This is a picture of my plants this year, they already have blossoms on them.
[Image: Tomatoes-2020.jpg] 
Here are some other pictures of my plants from other years to show how productive they are. see how small the bushes are.
[Image: Tomatoe-DX-5212.jpg] [Image: Tomatoe-DX-5212-large.jpg] [Image: Tomatoes-1-bush.jpg] [Image: Tomatoe-left-overs-11-22-05.jpg]
You can see how many tomatoes were left on the ground after we tore out all the plants.  They are amazing.
Hansens Greenhouse in Benjamin, UT is the only place I know of that sells these plants.  I'm lucky they are close by.
Nice looking crop. No staking or cages required, right?

Being on the back side of the Wasatch, in Morgan County, we tend struggle early and late with frost so getting started we begin our seeds indoors, move them to the greenhouse then once they are big enough plant some first in the greenhouse grow boxes, later some in the ground and some in straw bale garden. Those not in greenhouse get added protection for at least another month. Even last night we got down 41*. All our tomatoes are blooming, but of course nothing has grown like it does in the greenhouse. We grow several tomato types a Large Roma, Big Whopper, Glacier and 2 cherry tomatoes types - Sweet 100s and Sun Sugar for snacking and salads.

We agree there is nothing better than garden ripened tomato!
You're right, I never have to stake or support the plants.  I space them 3 feet apart and they fill in nicely, giving me enough room to get in to pick them.

I have some seeds that I saved from them. If you would like to have some I would be willing to share with you. Since you can start your own seeds and have the greenhouse you would probably have much better luck with it than I have had.

I really have'nt had very good luck trying to start my seeds inside, I just don't have the right conditions to get them to grow.  I get them up to about 2 inches and they just die. I've given up on trying, but I still keep seeds from many things, just to have them on hand.

If you would like to private message me your address I would be glad to send them to you.

Violet

[Image: My-garden-7-23-05.jpg] These are my tomatoe plants a couple of years ago, as big as they get.
I think that be great for the greenhouse as they wouldn't take over. However, when I looked online I saw a Hamson's DX-5212 that it says they are indeterminate - meaning they spread and require staking so they must be different wouldn't you say?
These tomatoes are definately not indeterminate, they are a small bush plant. I would be glad to send you some seeds if you would like. As far as I know the seeds are not available for sale.
Ok then, we'll give them a try. PM sent... Thanks.
(06-28-2020, 02:42 AM)MrsJ Wrote: These tomatoes are definately not indeterminate, they are a small bush plant.  I would be glad to send you some seeds if you would like.  As far as I know the seeds are not available for sale.
 Seeds arrived today, Thanks so much! Look forward to giving them both a try next spring. Our tomatoes in the GH are taking over, we've even been pruning them, We have had a few red cherry tomatoes - they tasted wonderful - nothing like a garden ripened tomato that is for sure.