Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber river condition?
I would like to introduce my 14 year old grand kids to river fly fishing, I don't know if the river is still high, they have never waded the river to fish.  I'm thinking about going on the weber in the Morgan area, can someone help me out with some information?  
Maybe some hints to the good flies that will be good now?  
I have been in my boat so long i have not been in the river in years.  
thanks
Go to the golf course in morgan. They will let you go down to the river and fish. Loads of white fish and browns. Pheasant tails hairs ears work great. If the water is a little off color san jaun worm or anything black.
(06-14-2020, 04:40 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I would like to introduce my 14 year old grand kids to river fly fishing, I don't know if the river is still high, they have never waded the river to fish.  I'm thinking about going on the weber in the Morgan area, can someone help me out with some information?  
Maybe some hints to the good flies that will be good now?  
I have been in my boat so long i have not been in the river in years.  
thanks
Flows look good on all the Weber. Hers the link where you can track it .https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/rt    
200-400 cfs are excellent levels for fishing the Weber. If it's above 800 skip it, especially with kids.
I was disappointed no one could give me any first hand info, about the Weber river, so I made a visit today in the Morgan area.
Went to the "Walk In" access near Morgan.
The river was still a little High, and still somewhat muddy, Could be the recent rain, but fish-able. The land owner was very friendly and helpful. There has been no cattle grazing so the grass was high making bank access hard. Hooked three fish but could not land them, water was fast and access to water is a little hard, fish were very shy.. All three were hooked using an 1/8 oz jig with a 2" power minnow. My grand daughter had fun and we did something I hadn't done for lots of years. She has never fished a river, but good experience for her.
Give the river another month and water will be down low. Couldn't get any taker on the three flies I tried.
(07-01-2020, 11:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I was disappointed no one could give me any first hand info, about the Weber river, so I made a visit today in the Morgan area.
The river was still a little High, and still somewhat muddy, Could be the recent rain, but fish-able.  The land owner was very friendly and helpful.  There has been no cattle grazing so the grass was high making bank access hard. Hooked three fish but could not land them, water was fast and access to water is a little hard, fish were very shy..  All three were hooked using an 1/8 oz jig with a 2" power minnow.  My grand daughter had fun and we did something I hadn't done for lots of years.  She has never fished a river, but good experience for her.
Give the river another month and water will be down low. Couldn't get any taker on the three flies I tried.
The river will not be low in another month.  What you are seeing is the required summer flow for water owners to irrigate with.  It will drop some in september as some of the less senior holders come off line and again in october to the normal fall/winter flows.
You were fishing at about 450 cfs, some of that water was due to recent rain.  It will lay back down to about 350, which is average for the summer.
(07-02-2020, 01:10 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 11:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I was disappointed no one could give me any first hand info, about the Weber river, so I made a visit today in the Morgan area.
The river was still a little High, and still somewhat muddy, Could be the recent rain, but fish-able.  The land owner was very friendly and helpful.  There has been no cattle grazing so the grass was high making bank access hard. Hooked three fish but could not land them, water was fast and access to water is a little hard, fish were very shy..  All three were hooked using an 1/8 oz jig with a 2" power minnow.  My grand daughter had fun and we did something I hadn't done for lots of years.  She has never fished a river, but good experience for her.
The river will not be low in another month.  What you are seeing is the required summer flow for water owners to irrigate with.  It will drop some in september as some of the less senior holders come off line and again in october to the normal fall/winter flows.
You were fishing at about 450 cfs, some of that water was due to recent rain.  It will lay back down to about 350, which is average for the summer.

Thank you for correcting me, most of my river fishing was 20 years ago on the Logan.  I 'm confined to boat now a days.