Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More not-success in the Boulders
I was down again Monday and battled the winds all day for a few fish.  I anticipated (and had all the flies) for the callibaetis hatch, but the winds basically kept things down all day.  Caught a few fish that were primed to feed if they could, but a slow day.  I think the cold weather might have pushed it back?  Also I should check conditions more closely.
(06-17-2020, 04:58 PM)_6x_ Wrote: I was down again Monday and battled the winds all day for a few fish.  I anticipated (and had all the flies) for the callibaetis hatch, but the winds basically kept things down all day.  Caught a few fish that were primed to feed if they could, but a slow day.  I think the cold weather might have pushed it back?  Also I should check conditions more closely.

Thanks for the report. Never fished the Boulder personally (a bit out of my range) but I read up on it and make loose plans every year that never materialize.

It's a funky time of the year... lake menus really opening up now. Lake fish are fickle to changing weather conditions too and it has been anything but steady over the past several weeks.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
(06-17-2020, 04:58 PM)_6x_ Wrote: I was down again Monday and battled the winds all day for a few fish.  I anticipated (and had all the flies) for the callibaetis hatch, but the winds basically kept things down all day.  Caught a few fish that were primed to feed if they could, but a slow day.  I think the cold weather might have pushed it back?  Also I should check conditions more closely.
It's been a few weeks but I spent the better part of a week on and around the mountain. Black and purple leeches were the ticket but scuds and prince nymphs fished fine as well. Had one cold blustery day in the middle that I didn't fish but same flies worked the next day. You always need to have a plan wherever you fish if the much anticipated hatch doesn't materalize.
Yeah that is good advice. I tried black and purple leeches but maybe wasn't sufficiently committed to them. I was also fishing them under a float -- letting the wind take them out. But then I feel like maybe I'm not getting down enough? Maybe I need to pack in a tube and use sinking lines when the hatch doesn't happen?

It's always a work in progress.
(06-18-2020, 03:12 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Yeah that is good advice.  I tried black and purple leeches but maybe wasn't sufficiently committed to them.  I was also fishing them under a float -- letting the wind take them out.  But then I feel like maybe I'm not getting down enough?  Maybe I need to pack in a tube and use sinking lines when the hatch doesn't happen? 

It's always a work in progress.
I would feel quite crippled without a tube. I didn’t use flies but the light marabou jigs I used in black and olive were very close to your wooly bugger thingies.