Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jigs! Plugs! Hammer Bombs! Around The Island 4am-4pm!
Covering Half The Island-Just Wasn't My DaySad

I woke up at 3am to again use my prototype plugging rig of 2yrs ago. Okuma's 9'6" HCS Shoreline Plugger w/a Rockaway 6000 Long Distance Spinner filled w/50lb Eminent Braid by Soft Steel. The Plugger was given to me by Jeff Robles & the Rockaway was also given to me by John Bretza at the Izuo Brothers Show. And the braid was sent to me by Davey Brown. It's a very special rig that i can plug, jig, surf & spin cast with. My only all purpose rig.

I tried many pre-made rigs consisting of Hammer Bombs from Bill Newton to Zippy Jigs from Mustad's Matt Swainbank. Everything i used today was kindly given to me to see how i like it. So far i love everything! I'm just balancing how they work together. Used 85lb fluorocarbon from Soft Steel that allowed me to "power out" of my jig's hook catching used thick line. I'm fine tuning my usage. 2oz jigs gave me a huge casting distance. 1-1/2oz i could still get that distance if i casted sideways if i'm operating waters 2-4ft without hitting bottom. If i used the 4oz i'd have to greatly increase my retrieval rate.

I drilled my luminescent plugs & added bb's. The cast assist Hammer Bombs gave me the distance needed and i could operated in shallow water. Depending on the wind conditions i used the 1-1/2, 1-3/4 & 2oz. Other conditions that influence casting distance is the rod's rating & length, type of line & weight class used (diameter), and the lure/plug & where the weight is positioned (the Zippy Jigs was rear weighted & i drilled the plugs to be the same). I'm always striving to better my understanding of the equipment i use & how to improve myself as an angler.

I would've done better today if i brought my ultra light rig but this is what i wanted to use. I ended up walking almost 8-miles. Not a big number but walking though the loose sand at my last stop was the killer. I'd like to thank the young men who kept me company on the pier. Great UL anglers! I could tell just by their conversations that they knew what they were doing. Hope you liked that short vid guys. They were busy bagging Pualu Surgeonfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGTMa0Qz6vk[Image: Cover1.jpg][Image: Cover3.jpg]
Wow Chris, a 12 hr fishing day, you are one tough dude, I'm done after 6 hours in a boat, much less walking as far as you did. Too bad the fish did not want to play. How often do you fish long days like that?
(06-25-2020, 11:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow Chris, a 12 hr fishing day, you are one tough dude, I'm done after 6 hours in a boat, much less walking as far as you did. Too bad the fish did not want to play. How often do you fish long days like that?

3-5 days a week.
(06-30-2020, 04:47 PM)ScubaChris Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 11:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow Chris, a 12 hr fishing day, you are one tough dude, I'm done after 6 hours in a boat, much less walking as far as you did. Too bad the fish did not want to play. How often do you fish long days like that?

3-5 days a week.

Wow, you really are tough, not sure how you keep up that pace, especially getting up that early.