Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing southern Utah area
(06-22-2020, 07:57 PM)Weplaygolf Wrote: Hello , I’m new to the group and fly fishing. I have been fishing for 30 yrs mostly in upstate New York everything from bass trout musky walleye all Lake Erie. I have fell in love with fly fishing last year took trip up from Vegas to panguitch. I just went in streams around there caught a bunch of small trout but had a blast. A friend gave me 2 fly rods looking for advice on setup and any good places in southern utah to hone my skills. 

* Cabelas letort 8.5  (5-6)
* SFA Stillwater premium graphite 9’ #5

I do have cabelas Cahill 2 Reel 

Are these any good for fishing in Utah and what will give me best setup? Reel, line, etc thanks you in advance  I appreciate ya.
Here's a link to fishable places in SW Utah.  https://redrockadventure.com/fishing/oth.../index.htm  It is the same list (Utah DWR originally put this together) of places I used 20 years ago to guide my explorations into fly fishing the streams in the area. 
Unfortunately it's not been updated since. I enjoy fishing smaller stream such as Leeds, South Ash (Browse) and Beaver Dam Wash in solitude. The first 2 are difficult to fish and nearly impossible with a rod that is made to handle 20-25 inch trout routinely. If you ever want to target these small streams a 7 ft 2 wt rod is the absolute biggest you want to use. It's better to get some experience and then shift down in rods and creeks if it interests you. Beaver Dam Wash is remote and a lot of work. It however is wide open. The fish top out at 16 inches on a good year but you can use any size trout rod from  6ft 0 wt to 9ft 5 wt without issues. Good Luck

Messages In This Thread
Fishing southern Utah area - by Weplaygolf - 06-22-2020, 07:57 PM
RE: Fishing southern Utah area - by fishalot13 - 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM
RE: Fishing southern Utah area - by Weplaygolf - 06-23-2020, 01:27 AM
RE: Fishing southern Utah area - by fishalot13 - 06-23-2020, 06:01 PM
RE: Fishing southern Utah area - by Joe_Hill - 06-23-2020, 05:42 PM
RE: Fishing southern Utah area - by richyd4u - 06-23-2020, 08:49 PM