Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on float tubing at Jordanelle
I'm pretty new to the area and took my float tube this morning to the Ross Creek area of Jordanelle, which is very close to my home.  Tried stripping a clouser with no luck.  Switched to slowly retrieving an olive woolly bugger and managed to pick up a small smallmouth and some tiny perch.  I got a little fed up with the wakes being thrown by the powerboats, so I called it quits after a couple of hours. 

I'm not used to float tubing on larger lakes like this -- is Ross Creek not a productive area, and should I go down to Rock Cliff instead?  And any suggestions on flies if I want to target the smallmouth?  I assumed a white streamer or woolly buggers would be sufficient, but they didn't do much for me today. 

Thanks!
I haven't fished up there for awhile but I had decent fishing in the Rock Cliff arm of the reservoir.  One good thing about fishing Rock Cliff, a fairly large area is wakeless so you don't have to worry about getting run over.

I used crystal buggers in sizes 6-8 in green/pearl, black/copper, brown/orange/pearl and leeches in olive, Canada Blood (claret), and brown.  Sometimes just trolling in my tube, with an occasional twitch would work.  Other times I would cast out, paddle long enough to get the fly down, and strip it back in, varying the retrieve until I found what got their attention.  The Provo River comes in there and the water temperatures should be a little cooler.  I fished with slow to medium sinking lines along the west side of the bay along the old river channel.  You have a chance for some browns along with the other species that are in there now.

Good Luck