Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaky boat.
So I have a new problem this year. My boat seems to be taking on water. I think I have pin pointed the problem on fore side along the keel. I know it sounds like a vast area and just well may be. I haven't hit on anything so not sure where it came from. But anyway I had a friend give me suggestions on fixing it and I doubt I can so I'm wanting to take it to boat place that work on fiberglass boats. Does anyone know of a place in the Provo/Orem area. I really appreciate any recommendations!
A couple years ago, checked around on having some fiberglass work done up in my area (Bountiful area) and found that they wanted a small fortune to do the work. Hopefully, you don't find the same situation. Randy and I did some fiberglass work, a few years ago, on my prior boat, and it looked like Randy and I did some fiberglass work, but the hole was sealed.
Can you put the plug in and fill up the hull with a hose while on the trailer, should be able to see where it’s leaking at and might find it’s something simple
I did something like that. I filled up the oar locker until it was full, with the plug in of course. There was dripping on the keel on the front but I couldn't be certain exactly where. Did not see a Crack or separation. But I can't crawl under there very easily because of health. But I need to try it again and be under it when it starts. I just don't know if it's running down the keel then dripping or what.
(07-22-2020, 07:24 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: So I have a new problem this year. My boat seems to be taking on water. I think I have pin pointed the problem on fore side along the keel. I know it sounds like a vast area and just well may be. I haven't hit on anything so not sure where it came from. But anyway I had a friend give me suggestions on fixing it and I doubt I can so I'm wanting to take it to boat place that work on fiberglass boats. Does anyone know of a place in the Provo/Orem area. I really appreciate any recommendations!
Is the damage accessible without lifting the boat and has it dried out yet?
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
From what you said, it sounds like you have a fiberglass boat, is that correct? If it was aluminum, I could help you with a fix I used on my old boat.
Yes it's fiberglass and I believe the spot where I need is where you can get to without having to lift it. It's between the bunkboards right on the keel about 5' from the top of the front where it was dripping. Now I'm not sure if it is where the hole is or this is where the low point was where water was pooling to then dripping off. That's edgy I may have to find somebody that knows what their doing.
If you think it may be closer to the bow, lower the Tongue to the ground (to create a sloping keel) and start filling. The moment the water rises to the leaky spot, you'll see your first drip. Ta-Daa! To confirm, pat a sheet of dry tissue either side of that to verify it is not running before dripping.
Thanks rocky.... Hadn't thought of that I'll give that a try.
PM sent
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!