Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing options
So this year I’ve hit up Scofield, Salem pond and Big East in Payson trying to get back in the grove after several years off and moving to a new state. Thinking of hitting up Little Dell this week, any tips or helpful info before I go? How’s the launching access? If you don’t use a floating line and indicator what flies might work? Also thinking of a quick (for me) trip to Maple lake, any thoughts on fishing there. This fall looking at Strawberry and another few trips to Scofield are there any other lakes that are a favorite to tube at?
There are lots of places to dip your tube, just depends on how far you want to drive.  

As far as Maple Lake, it is a bit of a walk down to the lake and it is very shallow so by now it could be mossed up pretty bad.

Little Dell should be good but I don't fish it much so I'm no help there.

East Canyon, Lost Creek, Rockport, Echo, Deer Creek, Starvation, Current Creek, the list goes on and on.  There are several lakes on the Manti that are great for tubing without having to worry about the recreational boaters.

Utah has a lot to offer, just get out and explore.

Good luck and happy tubing Wink
(07-24-2020, 04:07 PM)Sharknado Wrote: So this year I’ve hit up Scofield, Salem pond and Big East in Payson trying to get back in the grove after several years off and moving to a new state. Thinking of hitting up Little Dell this week, any tips or helpful info before I go? How’s the launching access? If you don’t use a floating line and indicator what flies might work? Also thinking of a quick (for me) trip to Maple lake, any thoughts on fishing there. This fall looking at Strawberry and another few trips to Scofield are there any other lakes that are a favorite to tube at?

Little Dell Reservoir sits less than 6,000 feet ASL, so my guess would be that the surface temps are well in excess of 70* F right now which is in the lethal zone for trout. Would be tough sledding with a fly rod as the cuts are probably forced to seek the cool depths, munching on zooplankton.

Options for launching a tube there are parking up top for free and hoofing it down to the water, or paying $5.00 and parking close to the lake. There is a small boat launch at the lower end (near the dam). I usually fish the upper end (between parking lot and inlet), but only to around mid-June as the water warms. I’ll start going back to the Dell when water temps in the shallows bring the fish up from the abyss… usually mid/late September. Oct-Nov up there is terrific fishing scuds and leeches. Chironomids will have their days as well Sep-Oct.

Lost Creek Reservoir near Croydon is an excellent lake for float tubing with nice mixed bag opportunity, no-wake regulations, limited shoreline access, and real trophy fish potential. Unfortunately, it sits right around 6,000 feet as well so would be a similar situation as Little Dell.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Thanks for the feedback guys