Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vole infested garden
I'm so Sad with the results of my garden this year. I have worked harder at making it work this year, than ever before, and it's the worst garden I've ever had.

First the birds and bugs were devouring everything I planted.  Now I started to look through my tomatoes to see why none of them are getting ripe, and found they are being eaten by Voles.

Not only the tomatoes but my beans.  They would blossom, and I would look for them but never find any.  I finally found that the Voles had also found them and they were eating them as fast as they were coming on.

I bought a bag of Ramik Rat, Vole, and mice poison.  I have put this down the holes that I could find and hope that I can soon be able to eat my own vegetables.

If anyone has a suggestion to help with this problem, please let me know.

[Image: sdr.jpg]  [Image: sdr.jpg]  This is whats left after they have their dinner.
That would be frustrating.
One of the community cats that had a batch of 4 kittens at our house last year all of which we trapped and had fixed, returned this year to have another litter of 3 kittens. But I will say this since we've had this influx of felines we have not had any voles - they are the best vole hunters. we could trap these latest kittens if you'd like them, but they have not been fixed yet. Not sure we can trap the mother but if we do you can have her as well. They are all black.

Let me know....
Now that I think of it, Richard has been very good at traping all the ferel cats and finding them a new home.  Thats probably why we have many voles, and way too many birds. The cats were constantly killing birds in our yard.

We had one cat that would climb up on our travel trailer and use his claws to slither down the side to get off tearing holes in it, so we bought a new trailer cover, and realized he was doing the same thing to the new $500.00 cover.  The cat had to find a new home along with others, so sorry!!. I guess we now have to deal with rodents.

Richard actually saw a vole run from the lawn area into the back yard yesterday, and happened to have a large stick in his hand and was able to sedue the creature. YEAH.

The Ramik seems to have helped a great deal in the garden, but I have noticed that our lawn in front has vole trailes in 4 places.  Now I'll have to figure a way to remedy that.

We'll have to think about the cat.  We're gone so much of the time we didn't want to have to worry about feeding animals, or them destroing our property.

Thanks, Violet
I just searched for vole traps, here are a few options for you to try:
https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?ch...81&ssrt=96
(08-09-2020, 07:11 PM)MrsJ Wrote: The Ramik seems to have helped a great deal in the garden, but I have noticed that our lawn in front has vole trailes in 4 places.  Now I'll have to figure a way to remedy that.

We'll have to think about the cat.  We're gone so much of the time we didn't want to have to worry about feeding animals, or them destroing our property.

Thanks, Violet
 Luckily our feral cats have 'behaved'. We never feed them very much since we want them to hunt those voles. We do have a fish pond in our yard so we get a lot wildlife that comes in for drinks. I just need to rehome Mom and her newest kittens. Hate to have to have 4 cats a year to get shots and neutered every year - that gets pricey for sure. I'll keep looking for takers. 

Next on our list of gardening projects - we hope to enlarge our greenhouse space as we have really nice success with the space we have. So next year I may not be using the bale gardening technique. Harbor Freight said if they get a damaged one in or a maybe returned that is in same size as the one we have they'd make us a deal on it. Jeff says he's pretty sure he can make use of one to enlarge the one we have so long as critical parts aren't damaged/missing. We'll see how this all works out - but it's a plan nonetheless.
As a retired nuisance wildlife operator , I use to use very small round conibears in front of the holes. But a plastic rat trap works well too. Google vole bait and buy the liquid one. Worked for me.
(08-04-2020, 06:13 PM)MrsJ Wrote: I'm so Sad with the results of my garden this year. I have worked harder at making it work this year, than ever before, and it's the worst garden I've ever had.

First the birds and bugs were devouring everything I planted.  Now I started to look through my tomatoes to see why none of them are getting ripe, and found they are being eaten by Voles.

Not only the tomatoes but my beans.  They would blossom, and I would look for them but never find any.  I finally found that the Voles had also found them and they were eating them as fast as they were coming on.

I bought a bag of Ramik Rat, Vole, and mice poison.  I have put this down the holes that I could find and hope that I can soon be able to eat my own vegetables.

If anyone has a suggestion to help with this problem, please let me know.

This is whats left after they have their dinner.

How is your garden doing this year MrsJ? Any problem with the voles?
I realize that this is an old thread (revived by Curtis); however, it reminded me of when I visited the Bountiful cemetery, a few years ago. I heard a loud pop that sounded like an M-80 or cherry bomb firecracker going off. I investigated further and an exterminator was setting off large firecrackers down the holes of some voles or whatever it was that was digging trails in an area that they were getting ready to expand into at the cemetery. It appears that it was extremely effective.
(08-22-2021, 01:03 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: I realize that this is an old thread (revived by Curtis); however, it reminded me of when I visited the Bountiful cemetery, a few years ago.  I heard a loud pop that sounded like an M-80 or cherry bomb firecracker going off.  I investigated further and an exterminator was setting off large firecrackers down the holes of some voles or whatever it was that was digging trails in an area that they were getting ready to expand into at the cemetery.  It appears that it was extremely effective.

That is interesting, I had not heard of anyone using firecrackers to get rid of ground digging animals.