Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
4 stroke outboard
Giving some thought to switching to a small 4 stroke outboard on my one man 9' pontoon boat. Around a 2-3 horse motor. Checking the weight etc . I would have less weight then with my electric motor ,and battery. Have a greater range to fish would be the benefit I am most interested  in . I have seen a couple that had them ,they seem pretty quiet . Getting rid of dealing with a battery is also appealing to me, after many years dealing with it . From reading about the 2.3 Honda, I could go a long ways on a gallon of gas . Any thoughts or advice on this ,or someone that has made the switch .  Thanks
You're still going to need a battery for your fish finder, etc. But a small AGM of 7 AH or so meant for lawn mowers or ATVs will suffice for that - it's what I use in my kayak. Couple of pounds, max.

I can't offer advice on the 4-stroke.
(08-15-2020, 12:34 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: You're still going to need a battery for your fish finder, etc. But a small AGM of 7 AH or so meant for lawn mowers or ATVs will suffice for that - it's what I use in my kayak. Couple of pounds, max.

Thanks, yes I use a small ATV battery for the fish finder , not a big deal there, but was hoping I would get some input on the 4 stroke, it seems like a pretty good idea. Yes have to deal with the gas ,but as said a gallon goes a long ways on those small motors .
If your setting up a gas power motor for your toon don't forget the safety feature of adding a fire bottle.  Idea 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-16-2020, 11:56 PM)up2nogood Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 12:34 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: You're still going to need a battery for your fish finder, etc. But a small AGM of 7 AH or so meant for lawn mowers or ATVs will suffice for that - it's what I use in my kayak. Couple of pounds, max.

Thanks, yes I use a small ATV battery for the fish finder , not a big deal there, but was hoping I would get some input on the 4 stroke, it seems like a pretty good idea. Yes have to deal with the gas ,but as said a gallon goes a long ways on those small motors .

My opinion and 2 cents... small 4 stroke would be best.  They run quieter, don't have to mess with adding or mixing oil and gas or making sure the oil res. has enough, and for low speed trolling, a 4 stroke won't load up like a 2 stroke does. That's why you see on most of the bigger boats that have a main motor and a "kicker" that even if the main is a bigger 2 stroke, the kicker is most always a 4 stroke used for prolonged low speed low rpm trolling.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool