Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Changes
Went thru a brain lapse, I always do walk around maintenance checkup just before setting out for an adventure with the boat. Since my kicker, a Yami 9.9 gets the most use, I usually change oil in powerhead & lower gearcase every 50hrs. Last time I looked at the timer I installed on motor was at 28hrs but failed to look at it, I had the engine cowl off a few times since then, until yesterday I noticed I was at 59hrs. As much as it gets used I get 2 oil changes annually, no oil filter on the kicker and oil service capacity is at 1 quart.  Its going to be a busy few minutes to take care of this. My main gets it every 50hrs also but the intervals are much further apart as in once in every 1-2yrs. The powerhead process requires oil filter and a gallon of oil but on a Yami F150 the oil drain is located on back of motor for easy access and is a very messy job catching the oil in a pan. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
That's interesting Roger, how hard was it to install a timer on your kicker and where did you buy it?
I called it a timer but it's actually an hour meter. My main motor came with one when I bought it but kicker didn't so I bought one for it. These are quite useful for keeping tabs on hours and mount directly to the motors, they are digital, have internal battery and a coil pickup that mounts direct to #1 sparkplug wire. It works when motors are running only. The other way it's done is installing dash meters next to your gages but I don't have room on my dash at this time. Amazon provides a few and this is the link of the one I bought. Newer motors now how internal meters but most of us don't have the means to download the codes with engine time.

Hardline Products HR-8063-2 Hour Meter,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJEY8S/ref...oFb6TZRZRH
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-15-2020, 11:57 PM)Bduck Wrote: I called it a timer but it's actually an hour meter. My main motor came with one when I bought it but kicker didn't so I bought one for it. These are quite useful for keeping tabs on hours and mount directly to the motors, they are digital, have internal battery and a coil pickup that mounts direct to #1 sparkplug wire. It works when motors are running only. The other way it's done is installing dash meters next to your gages but I don't have room on my dash at this time. Amazon provides a few and this is the link of the one I bought. Newer motors now how internal meters but most of us don't have the means to download the codes with engine time.

Hardline Products HR-8063-2 Hour Meter,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJEY8S/ref...oFb6TZRZRH
Thanks Roger, I'll have to check in to that meter. In the past, I've just changed it every few years but I have no idea how many hours are on it, I just know it's always pretty clear.