Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington North surprise
I made another quick run over to HN today to fish from my tube.  I launched at the state park boat ramp at 7:00 and fished until 11:00 when it got hot.  I fished mostly south and west from the ramp.  I used a fast sinking line (#8) and a size 8 bead head olive leech and a size 6 bead head white leech with a red UV polar chenille rib.  I picked up a dozen or so small bluegill/green sunfish, a couple of small (6") largemouth, one 18" rainbow, and the surprise of the day, two 18" to 19" catfish.  These are the first catfish that I have ever caught out of HN.

The water temperature was 71-72 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 5'.  The reservoir is 79% full and dropping.

There were a few folks on paddle boards and kayaks but no boats while I was there.

The fishing wasn't fast but a tug is a tug. Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like fun! How'd you catch those cats? They fight nice on the fly! I've caught a few but it's hard for me to hook them consistently
(09-02-2020, 03:51 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Looks like fun! How'd you catch those cats? They fight nice on the fly! I've caught a few but it's hard for me to hook them consistently

I was just dragging the fly near the bottom in 18' to 24' of water and twitching the line or pumping the rod every ten to fifteen seconds.
The fly that I caught them on was the same fly I caught the rainbow on, a size 8 bead head (clear glass) white mohair leech pattern with a red UV polar chenille rib and white marabou tail. 

It was a real shock for me to catch the catfish for the first time since I've been fishing there for over 25 years. Tongue

You're right, they do give you a good fight on the old 6 weight.