Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
South Slope 8-13
Fished some new small water today draining off the south slope of the Uintas. Took a while to get there but the scenery and fishing were amazing.  Caught a bunch of beautiful Colorado cutts - nothing too big, but big enough for this water. The fish were very spooky and required a stealthy approach and accurate cast. Usually they only gave you one chance - I missed many, but managed to catch a few too. Every once in a while, I had to stop fishing and just take in the incredible river surrounds. For me, this is one of the primary reasons I fish.

[Image: IMG-E7404.jpg][Image: IMG-E7405.jpg][Image: IMG-E7427.jpg][Image: IMG-E7409.jpg][Image: IMG-E7421.jpg][Image: IMG-E7410.jpg][Image: IMG-E7414.jpg][Image: IMG-E7424.jpg]
Thanks for the report and pics.

That is some pretty country up there for sure.  

My wife and I used to take a backpack trip up there every year after the first frost so that the mosquito population would be knocked back.
Looks like a good time.
Now how are you so sure that is a CRCT? Utah has plenty of what I call mutt cutts? Most of the CRCT I catch are more colorful. Maybe I'm just not always sure of what type of Cutt I'm catching on the South Slope.
(08-20-2020, 06:28 PM)Joe_Hill Wrote: Looks like a good time.
Now how are you so sure that is a CRCT? Utah has plenty of what I call mutt cutts? Most of the CRCT I catch are more colorful. Maybe I'm just not always sure of what type of Cutt I'm catching on the South Slope.

I certainly do not profess to be an expert in species identification. I can say that the stream these cutts were caught in is a tributary to the Green and is identified by UDWR to hold Colorado River cutts. From the pictures I've seen, they certainly looked like CRCT (even though not as colored up as I've seen in some pictures).  But hey, maybe there are other species of cutts in there too. Either way they were a blast to catch!