Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum Cleaning station
I was dismayed yesterday when there were 3 of us cleaning at the station , all with limits so probably 150 perch total. Tried the grinder and it didnt work. Went up to the office and let them now it wasnt working and was told yeah we know and that was it. Nothing else. no sign saying it wasnt working- no suggestions on how to proceed. All 3 of us cleaned our fish and disposed of all of the entrails in a heavy duty garbage bag. I was done first and the other two said they would deal with the bag so I dont know how it was disposed of. But knowing it doesnt work and not putting up a sign seems foolish to me. We could have or someone else could have filled the chute up making it much worse to clean. On a bright note I only kept perch over 8" with a few over 11". Some extremely nice fish to fillet. Caught quite a few large gills also but let those go . I think you can wipe out a fishery of big gills pretty quickly because of how long it takes for them to reach that size, but they sure are fun to catch on an ultra light rod.
(08-26-2020, 12:42 PM)packfish Wrote: I was dismayed yesterday when there were 3 of us cleaning at the station , all with limits so probably 150 perch total. Tried the grinder and it didnt work. Went up to the office and let them now it wasnt working and was told yeah we know and that was it. Nothing else. no sign saying it wasnt working- no suggestions on how to proceed. All 3 of us cleaned our fish and disposed of all of the entrails in a heavy duty garbage bag. I was done first and the other two said they would deal with the bag so I dont know how it was disposed of. But knowing it doesnt work and not putting up a sign seems foolish to me. We could have or someone else could have filled the chute up making it much worse to clean. On a bright note I only kept perch over 8" with a few over 11". Some extremely nice fish to fillet. Caught quite a few large gills also but let those go . I think you can wipe out a fishery of big gills pretty quickly because of how long it takes for them to reach that size, but they sure are fun to catch on an ultra light rod.
Cleaning station at Willard's North Marina has been useless all summer. Ranger sitting at the decon stasion this morning. I walked over and asked who I could talk to get it fixed.  Told me,  get hold of somebody in SLC. Rolled his window back up before I could thank him for his help.
You have to admit that it must be terribly frustrating for the park people, too. They go through the very unpleasant job of fixing a cleaning station and almost before they can pack up their tools, some REAL tools have it clogged and broken again.
True but again today I was able to show someone how to run it. No sign and they had no clue that there was a grinder button.
They had cleaned around 20 perch and some gills and thought the water sprayers made the grinder run. . The parks did have it working and  they anglers didn't clog it so it couldn't be ran.
I just think an instructional sign would pay for its self over and over again. Starting to see more and more perch fisherman- great