Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lincoln Beach report 9-2-20
Got to actually fishing about 10:00 this morning. I decided to head about 700 yards from the jaws and drag down toward the orchards. The catching was pretty steady, averaging a fish every half hour. Bait was baby white bass cut in two. I caught a small cat followed by a pair of 24.5s. When I got down by the mouth of the L I tied into a fish that felt bigger though not really huge. As I got it up top I saw it was a good-sized cat but didn't think it would give me a bump, but the closer he got the bigger he looked. Then I noticed that I was having a hard time getting him to fit inside the net. "Hey, wait a minute, that's a really big head," I thought to myself. Then I groaned as I tried to heft him over the gunwale. I got the hook out quickly and flopped him down beside my yardstick. To my pleasant surprise he looked to be over 30 inches, maybe even 30.5. When I got around to measuring and photographing him he barely crossed the 30" mark. I was thrilled but had really wanted him to be 30.5 so he would add to our Top 10 contest score. Oh well, I'm sure he has a big brother or old granddad lurking out there somewhere just waiting for us.

I ended up with 6 fish in the 3 hours I was out. The water was 68° when I started and got up near 70° by the time I left at 1:00. The lake was very calm, with winds in the 2-3 mph range. I fished in the 8-foot-something depth range. There was nobody there when I arrived, I mean nobody at all. Didn't see a person anywhere. When I was leaving, a boat mechanic was testing a nice big boat in the harbor, but that was it. I didn't feel too safe with no boats around to hail if I needed help so after pictures I headed home. Besides, how many 30 inchers are you likely to catch in one day? I'll be back again tomorrow and the next day and the next.

It seems that the last couple of years there have been no, or few, fish entered in the contest in September. Why do you think that is? Do you think that this year will be any different?

[Image: 9-2-2020-30-incher.jpg]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Congratulations Craig on a fine specimen. I have never reached the 30" mark in the cat world.
Thanks. I was concerned that my first one might have been a fluke so it's very satisfying to add this one. I hope you make it down another time or two--the lake is turning out a bunch this year.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice Craig! That is a big fish!  I don't think there has ever been a year where more than 4 anglers have scored 90 pts or more in the contest. (3 fish average of 30").  Yet if your fish scores 30, you will be the 7th angler to hit that mark this year. Wow! There are also several just below that mark that could hit it with one more bumper.
Wtg Craig. That is great my biggest is only 29.5" ever and that was last year I think. So you are doing awesome my friend. I don't even have a fish posted yet this year I needed to get going lol.
Well done Craig! Always fun to catch one of the big boys. I think more of them will be showing up as the weather cools and we need every point we can get to keep the pressure on those northern guys. I've been expecting Jig or Ahi to post a bumper any day now.

I'm headed out this a.m., plan to get there around 5:30 or so to take advantage of the full moon and pick up an extra hour of fishing before the sun drives me off the water. 

Nice fish, keep them coming.

BLK
Good catch there Craig.  I've not boated any Cat over 29.5 here in Utah, so that 30 inch mark is my illusive next goal.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Way to go Craig, congrats on a great fish.... I think the low numbers in September is usually because of the Algae blooms that hit or low water level... You guys are getting an extra month down there this year... Good luck and use it well... Sure wish I could find something over 26", I haven't broke that mark since May... But then again I've only been fishing a hand full of times since so that might have something to do with it... Well done... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
In reference to lower posted fish in Sept, I bet we lose a few mad catters to fall hunts and chasing kids in sports, too

Congrats Craig, you have had a great cat year
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew