Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha F150TXR
I’ve been researching a whinny noise coming from my main F150 Yamaha boat motor. I came across it accidentally when I was looking at info posted thru a boating forum and there I found many threads about a a harmonic balancer.  As I was digging found many folks had changed the balancer with a newer version throughout the years. From 2004 to 2012 there were 4 upgrades from original design. Previous 4 versions were still having same issue which are obsolete now and last version was fix.
These are the part numbers listed:
2004 63P-11500-00-00
2005 63P-11500-01-00 changed
2006 63P-11500-02-00 changed
2009 63P-11500-03-00 changed
2012 63P-11500-04-00 changed
I could have made a career reading thru the multiple threads on that forum from years past but one individual mentioned YouTube so the first video listed in my search was enough to help me. I couldn’t find a part number but did find a 1 stamped on my balancer housing. I took a pic of the balancer housing with a circle around a couple of numbers but just above that circle is 1, that is the only indicator. Next is the YouTube video of a Yamaha F150 making a whinny noise which is the same exact noise mine makes. You’ll hear the difference from old balancer to new balancer, its very distinctive. From the info I collected these balancers self-destruct in time clogging oil system trashing the motor eventually and mine is well on the way of doing that. That's a $15-20g deep pocket for a new motor or more for a $425 part.  Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3hzP9_sj0

[Image: Harmonic-Balancer.jpg]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Good to hear you figured out what was wrong, sounds like it could have been pretty bad if you had not figured it out.
Glad you got it figured out. Your link doesn't work. I have a somewhat, similar situation facing me. They put a plastic gear in my outboard that pumps the two-cycle oil into the outboard. Of course, that part wears out long before the outboard is worn out.
I never knew I actually had an issue. Thought it was just its normal way of running. It was like this when I bought the boat 4yrs ago. The motor ran good from the first day in my possession and still is today. 
Sorry about the link, it is now working. The balancer is shown as you look at front face of motor at the 2 cylinders, a fuel filter just below it with mounting bracket attached to balancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3hzP9_sj0
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
As updates go I ordered the balancer on Sept 6 2wks ago. I received an update email that they had to go to manufacturer for item. COVID has put a strain on the delay of getting parts. As explained if part is in stocked it ships immediately, if more than 1 part shipment will be delayed until all parts are together. In my case it takes 5-8 business days for them to get the part before it can be shipped to me. I'm twiddling my thumbs wanting to get back on the water. Checked with other sources its taking 2wks minimum to ship.  Undecided
Harrisville UT
As of Oct 5 my backorder part for a new balancer is still on backorder which the date moved toward the end of Oct. However that doesn't mean I can't use what I have. I took my boat up to Bear L Fri 10-02, during which time I was getting the over temp alarm twice scooting across the lake which occurred above 3000rpm. The 2nd time I was able to watch my engine temp on my fishfinder thru the NMEA 2000, I'm convinced this is a useful tool to have. Specs allow for the alarm on is set to come on at 183°-194°. When I stayed under 3000rpm no alarm. Knowing my boat has been used in salt water on the west coast I decided to do the vinegar flush on both the main & kicker. Prior to the flush I removed the thermostat & poppet valve which is located on same side the thermostat is but lower. The thermostat was crusty with buildup so I soaked it overnight in some CLR. It came out clean but the surrounding frame showed signs of pitting. I'm thinking this is original t-stat. After researching sources t-stats are unavailable and backordered till then end of Oct, ya right. Then Amazon came thru saying Yamaha OEM t-stat was in stock and I can get it between Oct 8-16 delivery, unfortunately not Prime ORDERED, received shipping confirmation. 
I was surprised to see the ports prior to vinegar flush not to be as bad as what I originally thought. When I did the test with thermostat it stayed in its only position as seen in pics. Normal operating range on both motors is 136°-158°. I had temp reach 200° in boiling water. I did the vinegar flush for an hour, after 30min water temp started getting hot and I continued to acid boil for another 30min. Once done I then proceeded to do a fresh water rinse for 10mins on each motor.

Thermostat & Port     Thermostat                T-Stat after soak      T-Stat testing
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] 

Poppet Valve prior     Main Motor
Vinegar Flush                Vinegar Flush           Water Temp in Tub    Kicker Flush
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]

Kicker Flush Tub       Poppet Port after
Temp                         Flush
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
Harrisville UT
Its been close to a 1½mo since I have ordered my balancer with no further updates after 9-13-2020. However my thermostat I ordered thru Amazon(none prime) was shipped from the east coast on 10-4 and delivered 10-9 and installed immediately. Here is the image of the good & bad side by side.

[Image: Thermostat.jpg]
Harrisville UT
This is an update for the balancer I ordered back on Sept 6. The first month I received an update email on the delay of the part. From then on I had to request updates at the end of each month. By the end of the 2nd month the email that I received at the beginning that allows me to check status for delivery came up as orders that were older than 60 days can't be found. Phone calls to the business were no longer taken but emails were. I sent an email at end of 2nd month asking about 60 day no longer found, response was immediate saying my order number is still good and further delay still on going. Same with the end of the 3rd month. I requested a cancellation of order & refund. Response was quick saying order was cancelled and a full refund will be issued back to my account in 24-48hrs. The business I dealt with is Crowley Marine in Denver, CO. I have ordered parts in the past 4yrs from them and had no problems getting parts. Their response has been quick every time whether I ordered & received parts or this recent issue. I have nothing bad to say about these folks. COVID has put a dampener on many including me. I will order from them again when & if need be.
Now going back to the end of the 2nd month I placed a phone call to Sim Marine in Wisconsin and they were going thru the problem of getting stock from motor manufacturer at that time also do to COVID. That's why I let my order at Crowley ride since it was a month in already. Just before I cancelled the part I place another phone call and Sim Marine said they now have the part. Now I can cancel & hope for a refund before I reordered thru Sim Marine. Everything happen very quick. I ordered part from Sim Marine and it shipped that day Dec 3. Delivery is Dec 9, YIPPEE
Harrisville UT
Good to hear you finally got your part Roger, too bad it took so long. Makes you wonder why Crowley can't get the part but Sim's can, you would think the part would come from the same place, unless there is more than one manufacture.
Ya Curt, I was in no hurry since colder temps came in but taking 3mo to fill a backorder when another business is higher up on the food chain was getting a little ridiculous. I was more concerned of $400 disappearing after their 60 day unfound orders.  
Harrisville UT
Here it is my new harmonic balancer I was awaiting 3mo for that's a 1/4 of a year. I have a couple of boat projects going on now and this balancer will be replaced in between appts next week. I hope the weather will give a break for me to go out to Willard Bay to ops check a maintenance run. Snow on the horizon maybe.

[Image: IMG-1237.jpg]
F150 Yamaha Harmonic Balancer 
Harrisville UT
Good luck on getting on Willard next week, it is partially frozen and with the colder temps and snow in the forecast, you might be out of luck unless you what to drive up to Jordanelle or Bear lake.
I had a feeling Willard won't do. I'll just have to wait for an open door to hit the reliable Bear L depending its outcome after these storms.
Harrisville UT
That harmonic balancer(HB) isn't anything like I thought it would be, so you are saying that entire pic is the HB? If so, where does that mount on your motor?
It mounts on the front face of the motor. There is a engine mounted fuel filter which it's mounted in it own holder. Just unbolt that and set aside, no lines or filter needs disassemble. An engine lift mount needs removed and that's it. Now there is complete access to balancer, 10-12 bolts attaching it to motor. 
Harrisville UT
I received the new balancer about 2wks ago but the honey-do list grew where I couldn't find time to change it out. Yesterday afternoon 12-20 I found a window of opportunity to start this task. It took about 2½hrs to complete and that's taking it slow for a first time. This task can be done in less than 2hrs. Its now ready for a maintenance run but hard deck will have me awaiting a while. As I stated in a previous post I didn't know I had an issue and thought it was a normal sound until I found posted problems with the balancer in a boating forum. I have been running this motor for 4yrs now. This $450 part is the difference in a $15-20G new engine. I am LUCKY that this motor didn't get trashed as others have described. 

[Image: Front-F150-TXR.png]     [Image: Front-F150-TXR-1.png]     [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]    [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]    
Items labeled have to be unbolted or removed      Deteriorated Gears       1st Gen & 5th Gen                                                                                   

[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
    Front of Motor
Harrisville UT
Roger, the north marina is open again, you can launch there and check out your boat there if you like. This might change later in the week with the cold temps coming back in, so you better get out there today or tomorrow if at all possible.
Thanks Curt, I'll check it out
Harrisville UT
Checked out the north marina at Willard this morning and ice has receded away from the ramp but ice sheets were in the water at the ramp with some chop. By the time I got home the wind had kicked up where I'm keeping my boat high dry for another day.
Harrisville UT
(12-22-2020, 06:44 PM)Bduck Wrote: Checked out the north marina at Willard this morning and ice has receded away from the ramp but ice sheets were in the water at the ramp with some chop. By the time I got home the wind had kicked up where I'm keeping my boat high dry for another day.
That's too bad, yesterday would have been ideal but that's the way it goes, hopefully you get another chance. Temps are dropping tonight but the wind forecast looks better for tomorrow, if it does not freeze up overnight.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/willard