Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha F150TXR
(12-22-2020, 07:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 06:44 PM)Bduck Wrote: Checked out the north marina at Willard this morning and ice has receded away from the ramp but ice sheets were in the water at the ramp with some chop. By the time I got home the wind had kicked up where I'm keeping my boat high dry for another day.
That's too bad, yesterday would have been ideal but that's the way it goes, hopefully you get another chance. Temps are dropping tonight but the wind forecast looks better for tomorrow, if it does not freeze up overnight.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/willard
I have that same windfinder, I like it and you can add favorites.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Have you made it out there to check out your motor yet Rodger? It is pretty much wide open now.
(02-26-2021, 03:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Have you made it out there to check out your motor yet Rodger? It is pretty much wide open now.
I made it out and remained tied off at the dock. Was able to get a good 40min run with rpm not much higher than 3000. All smooth and much quieter and no leaks.  Shy 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(02-28-2021, 11:59 PM)Bduck Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 03:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Have you made it out there to check out your motor yet Rodger? It is pretty much wide open now.
I made it out and remained tied off at the dock. Was able to get a good 40min run with rpm not much higher than 3000. All smooth and much quieter and no leaks.  Shy 
Good to hear, glad it worked out. Cool
Ever since I did the vinegar flush last October I would get the alarm at high rpms when doing a maintenance run on Willard. NMEA showed that my motor temp was slowly rising but if I kept it under 5000rpm the alarm would not sound off. Temp would be higher than normal and when throttling back to much lower rpm temp would come down within reasonable operating temp. My thoughts were an obstruction within cooling passage in the motor after vinegar flush loosened up crud. I replaced poppet valve with a new kit which consisted of a grommet, valve, tension spring, and outer housing gasket. The old valve appeared to be in good shape but the grommet appeared to be worn flat on one side of where valve seated against it and had some crud buildup but not enough for any blockage. From previous pic posted I didn't remove grommet just in case it was at brittle stages.

Old Valve                    Old & New Valve
[Image: Old-Poppet-Valve.jpg] [Image: Old-New-Poppet-Valve.jpg]

After replacing poppet valve I did another maintenance run but my confidence wasn't there that this would help solve over temp issue and it didn't. I'm glad Willard is a short distance for me to run my boat. Next step is I removed lower end of gear housing and this is where I found the issue of over temp.

Plastic Impeller
[i]Worn Impeller                     Housing                    Side View[/i]
[Image: Worn-Impeller.jpg] [Image: Plastic-Impeller-Housing.jpg] [Image: Side-View-Impeller-Housing.jpg]

After removal of impeller housing found impeller going thru a deterioration of a melt down. Impeller housing is plastic with a metal insert. To the right side of housing is a passage where lake water is sent up to the motor. This passage is partially closed off with melted plastic. After talking with 2knots (Alan) he had same thing to happen with his motor and we both have same exact year motor. He came to the conclusion that this was the result of running motor on earmuffs not having enough water pressure to circulate. I came to agree with this as I had to shut down my motor a few times when I couldn't get enough pressure to get water to come out at pee hole. I did notice that my house pressure is much lower than my irrigation pressure and that's what I mostly used to make it work. Made purchase of impeller kit with housing, all in stock with 2 day immediate shipping.

B   O   A   T
R        U       N       H 
E        T       O       O
A                 T       U
K                 H       S
                   E       A
                   R       N
                            D
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Harrisville UT
You sure are having a lot of issues with that motor, hopefully this is the last one and it is smooth boating from here on out. Glad you figured it out.
(03-08-2021, 09:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You sure are having a lot of issues with that motor, hopefully this is the last one and it is smooth boating from here on out. Glad you figured it out.

When an issue arises I don't wait for it to turn into what could be catastrophic. When I bought this boat maintenance records of upkeep were not available, only an on sight print out of how many hours accumulated. The test ride told me its condition which I pulled trigger to purchase & bring it home KNOWINGLY there were issues I could address. Half of the issues I dealt with are not even listed here of what I have done. I have a fund to fix my issues, this is what keeps me safe along with others in the boat as well as my tow vehicles.
The plastic water pump housing is an inferior internal part-my opinion, but that's what we all have deal with in some capacity-inferior parts. 
Harrisville UT
So, Roger, Have you been back out and did this fix your latest issue? Sure hope so.
(03-15-2021, 01:30 AM)RILEYFISH Wrote: So, Roger, Have you been back out and did this fix your latest issue? Sure hope so.
I did Mark, took my little buddy out on Willard on Sunday Mar 14. I brought up the NMEA page on my finder monitoring engine temp. Without this before I wouldn't have been able to make the decision of what was wrong with only an audible alarm to alert me something was wrong. Most boat engines have basic indicators rpm, fuel tank, voltage, and speed as mine does. Going to a shop to have it analyzed with an engine download is a $65 tag. My engine is running as it should now.  
Harrisville UT