Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee Season
It is illegal to keep Kokanee from September 10th to November 30th to protect them during the spawn.  Does that mean it is illegal to target them for catch and release as well?
(09-06-2020, 10:57 PM)Bow-Dude Wrote: It is illegal to keep Kokanee from September 10th to November 30th to protect them during the spawn.  Does that mean it is illegal to target them for catch and release as well?
 You cant keep them. You can catch them is the short answer.
Its unethical to target them during these times. Low survival rate after being pulled from the depths and turned loose.
PAC... my thoughts exactly. If the mortality rate is high, it should be illegal to target them. To me, targeting them is different than an occasional catch while targeting other species. As popular as Kokanee fishing has become, I have to wonder how many people read their proclamation to know the rules pertaining to specific species.
fact that you may actually harm or kill the ones you release is why I said you cant keep them but you can catch them was the short answer. I agree that it may not be a great idea. I certainly wouldnt target them.
(09-07-2020, 01:15 AM)Bow-Dude Wrote: PAC... my thoughts exactly.  If the mortality rate is high, it should be illegal to target them.  To me, targeting them is different than an occasional catch while targeting other species.  As popular as Kokanee fishing has become, I have to wonder how many people read their proclamation to know the rules pertaining to specific species.

Probably the same amount of people that can tell (or care to tell) a cutt from a bow at the berry.
Kokanee salmon
(Anglers may not possess kokanee
salmon at any waterbody
statewide from Sept. 10 through
Nov. 30.)

they are hard to catch this time of year but they will bite  all most any thing you use to catch cuts.
if you do catch one just release it. try to leave it in the water to get the hook out.