Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo PnC day 9/6
Sunday my wife made plans with a friend and her husband to float the Weber. She also suggested that we take fishing gear along for after, hard to say no to that. The river was running high, so our float was accelerated. More time to fish!

We decided to run up to Echo and see if we could find those perch and bass like Jig-Fisher. Our first spot produced only bites and a few snags. We could see some folks further down the shore catching some fish, so we kept watch and they packed up a little before we were ready to leave. Headed down there with our Mr. Twisters and jig heads, first cast in the new spot my wife pulled in a slab of a crappie! Had never heard of them being in there, and hadn’t caught one from there before. My second cast produced a perch. She kept pulling in the crappie and I the perch. All of them were invited home for dinner, but the one crappie I caught declined after coming near the stringer. 

Pretty quick action for a few minutes there and we left with 5 fish, plenty for a meal with my oldest child. 

[Image: BB0-B6681-284-A-4-F00-995-E-5-C9-D0-C29848-D.jpg]

[Image: E166-F91-E-ED26-4-E93-B6-A5-E919-F2705811.jpg]
Nice slabs. I am happy to see more crappie coming out of Echo. I did well one morning from my float tube a couple of summers ago. They were all nice like the ones you scored. Come on quick winter and freeze that lake and Deer creek too.
Gabe
You caught them from shore? Great job thanks for sharing, using plastic curry tails, any bait added?
(09-08-2020, 07:23 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Nice slabs. I am happy to see more crappie coming out of Echo. I did well one morning from my float tube a couple of summers ago. They were all nice like the ones you scored. Come on quick winter and freeze that lake and Deer creek too.
Gabe

That's great, would like to find them through the ice!

(09-08-2020, 07:57 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: You caught them from shore? Great job thanks for sharing, using plastic curry tails, any bait added?

We did catch them from shore, and just using curly tails. No bait added, though I was tempted to throw on a perch eye.
Since you were just up their can you tell me what the boat ramp was like at echo? does the ramp still go into the water? did they charge to enter the state parks?
(09-08-2020, 09:40 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Since you were just up their can you tell me what the boat ramp was like at echo? does the ramp still go into the water? did they charge to enter the state parks?

The ramp does go to the water, but it's a long ways to the bottom. I didn't launch anything so couldn't tell you if there's a drop off, but the concrete goes to the water. I have a state parks pass, so entrance was just a friendly wave. If you don't have one then yes a fee would be required.
When I launched Saturday, there was a sign at the bottom of the ramp that said launch at your own risk.  The pavement did extend into the water and many bigger boats than mine launched after I did.  I didn't have any issues.
(09-08-2020, 03:09 AM)JArner Wrote: Sunday my wife made plans with a friend and her husband to float the Weber. She also suggested that we take fishing gear along for after, hard to say no to that. The river was running high, so our float was accelerated. More time to fish!

We decided to run up to Echo and see if we could find those perch and bass like Jig-Fisher. Our first spot produced only bites and a few snags. We could see some folks further down the shore catching some fish, so we kept watch and they packed up a little before we were ready to leave. Headed down there with our Mr. Twisters and jig heads, first cast in the new spot my wife pulled in a slab of a crappie! Had never heard of them being in there, and hadn’t caught one from there before. My second cast produced a perch. She kept pulling in the crappie and I the perch. All of them were invited home for dinner, but the one crappie I caught declined after coming near the stringer. 

Pretty quick action for a few minutes there and we left with 5 fish, plenty for a meal with my oldest child. 

[Image: BB0-B6681-284-A-4-F00-995-E-5-C9-D0-C29848-D.jpg]

[Image: E166-F91-E-ED26-4-E93-B6-A5-E919-F2705811.jpg]

I'm  going to look for your crappie this morning,  at echo.  Little late getting the GK ready.
Quote:I'm  going to look for your crappie this morning,  at echo.  Little late getting the GK ready.

Hope you were able to find some.
[Image: 20200912-102232.jpg]Lots of people up and down the bank. Never saw one fish caught. Even down by the dam on the rocks people were fishing. Water is much lower.
All the shore line is shallow water, most people fished with bobbers and a jig. I tried on the bottom too but got nothing.
Someone said fish in the willows and weeds, there are none.