Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annual Trip to Columbia River for salmon
This is a bit late but I thought some of you might enjoy reading about our Buoy 10 Columbia River adventure this year.  Wife and I questioned going because salmon returns were down, but since we had to make bookings for lodging and marina space a year in advance we thought we would go ahead and make the most of it.  We much prefer ocean fishing to the river fishing but the ocean quota was met in mid July they closed the ocean down to sport fishing for salmon.  Regardless, we hooked up 'True Blue' and headed NW to Ilwaco, WA.  Arrived 8/10 and found the river season opening was delayed until the 14th and the limit was reduced to 1 Silver or King per day.  Thus we spent the time being tourists instead (very nice area) and getting everything ready on the boat.  On the 14th we and 10,000 others (not really that many) motored forth in high winds onto the mighty Columbia at Buoy 10.  The Kings were in and we got our two fish limit.  Lost several.  Next day, just one, which we offered to a couple obviously fishing for food.  For a few days the tides were weak and few Kings came in.  The next week tides were strong again (along with the wind) and it was "FishOn" again.  Silvers finally started up the river the last week of August.  They are our favorite salmon and we got enough to bring home for the freezer.  

We lost a lot of fish this year.  Four to equipment failure, four in the netting process and many just got off the barbless hooks we had to use.  Two of those that got loose were a very large Silver in the 15# range that my wife had on and I couldn't get in the net (I'm still paying for that one!) and a very large King I estimated to be 25#+ on the last day.  Hard as I tried, it just wouldn't come to the net and finally found freedom at the side of the boat leaving me with just the memory.  Hooking those big Kings and Silvers is quite a thrill.  On the Kings the best you can do is just hang on to your rod while they run out 200' of line.  They go around the boat, under the boat, in the air and anywhere else they feel like going!  All in all it was a good trip and we brought home a cooler full of vacuum packed fresh salmon.  Also took a charter for bottom fish and got some nice Lings which (very tasty).  Met 4 guys from Ogden while we were there.  Enjoyed seeing others from our home area.  They generously sharing fishing information on whats working and whats not and where.  

Hope you enjoyed reading about our adventure.  Good fishing.  Here are some pictures ...

[Image: 059.jpg]

Ling Cod
[Image: 075.jpg]
Waiting for a "take down"
[Image: 077.jpg]
Infamous Buoy 10 on Columbia
[Image: 085.jpg]
Lani with a King
[Image: 088.jpg]
I got one too!

[Image: 099.jpg]
A couple of Silvers
I just drove the Columbia on Sunday, several spots you could see 50 to 100 boats bunched up. One busy spot was where the Deschutes river came into the Columbia. Can't tell if they were anchored up or trolling. Boy i would like to do that .
That looks like a lot of fun.  I would love to do that too.  Thanks for sharing.
(09-08-2020, 10:03 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: That looks like a lot of fun.  I would love to do that too.  Thanks for sharing.
I called once its costly for a charter service to fish for sturgeon, walleye, salmon, or small mouth.