Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach report 9-5-20
I headed out of LB again Saturday looking for an outsized channel cat or two. Water was under 68° when I started fishing at 7:45 and rose to about 73° by the time I quit at 3:45. I dragged wb on a flig and a Santee rig. The first flig I used was so beat up that it was loose on the hook and was split out about 3/4 of it's length. The fish still loved it. Eventually I just had to retire it and the new replacement worked just as well. It seemed that the Santee caught nearly as many but it worked better after I moved the float further up the line, maybe a foot instead of 6". 

I caught 19 channels, one bullhead and one wb. I was averaging one channel every half hour but that time reduced to 25 minutes after a flurry in the afternoon. I caught cats of 27.5", 28" and 28.5. Nice fish but I need at least a 30 to get a bump in the contest, 31 to add points to our team score. I would have welcomed any of those early in the season and they would have earned 84 points in the contest. The big ones are certainly showing up more now. The 28 was very light gray. When I got it close to the boat I noticed that my braided line looked a little frazzled about six feet up. I lightened the drag even more and landed him ok even though he still fought pretty hard. When I inspected the 20-pound line I saw that it was holding together with just two threads. Of course I cut off several feet of line and re-tied. Note to self: check your line more often. 

I strolled all the way down to the Mulberry area. I tried to stay closer in than I usually fish but I did get hung up a couple of times when I got closer than 400 yards out.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Wow 19 fish... I haven't caught a fish in over a month you have me chomping at the bit.it's nice to see you back on the water and reporting again missed ya there. I always love your enthusiasm, you could say it's catchinon... OK maybe that was a bad one lol. But really it's nice to read you post, you can feel the excitement of the day
Thanks for the kind words. I was wondering if I was just boring everyone or if my contributions were helpful to anyone.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good report...even if you did flake out on the cleanup.

As a matter of personal curiosity, what color fligs have been working best?  By the way, they are not guaranteed against the twisting and chomping of big nasty cats.
Firetiger and similar plus blue/silver. The real wear and tear on the fligs is the process of removing them from the fishies' mouths. Sometimes I just can't avoid grabbing the body instead of the hook. I'll just have to keep practicing.

Hows the water there now? Any algae bloom going on still?
Craig. I often wonder what you like best: fishing or writing posts about fishing. Then I remember....English Teacher....he probably writes the posts while he is fishing....then I check my grammer and add half a dozen extra various punctuations just to give ya somthing to shake your head about.

You are having such a good time this user playing with UL cats. It is fun to read about.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-11-2020, 12:34 PM)Fishin_Fool78 Wrote: Hows the water there now? Any algae bloom going on still?
I fished out of Lincoln Beach today.  There was a greenish tinge on top of the water in the main lake.  And in the harbor it was getting really green.  But it is not the blue-green cyanotoxin algae...just Utah water crud.
[Image: GREEN-SHEEN.jpg]