Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17" Golden or Cutt or both?
Hi folks, looking for some help from your collective wisdom.

I was in the hunt for some Goldens in the high Uintas and after catching some nice cutthroat I landed this 17" curiosity. Looks like maybe some mixed cutt and golden markings... Ideas??

[Image: IMG-0631.jpg]

Cheers!
Looks like a Colorado River cutt. They often get red or orange on their bellies. I would show you some pics of both the Colorado River cutts and goldens that I’ve caught to show you the difference but can’t get my phone to upload pics.
(09-17-2020, 03:42 AM)chuckbigflies Wrote: Looks like a Colorado River cutt. They often get red or orange on their bellies. I would show you some pics of both the Colorado River cutts and goldens that I’ve caught to show you the difference but can’t get my phone to upload pics.

Much appreciated! It's my first Colorado River cutt then. I would love to see what some Goldens look like in our area. Googling cutthroat strains is tougher than I'd think but I'm trying. Fun to learn it tho.

I caught this cutthroat out of the same lake.

[Image: IMG-0633.jpg]
I hear the Utah golden trout are usually quite small, so expect them to be less than 12"... The Wyoming goldies can get some size if you find that right lake.... Still trying to figure out if Flying Monkey Lake is a real place or not????? Anyway good luck in your quest... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
The options to catch a true Golden in Utah are very limited. I know of two places: Echo Lake in the Murdock Basin and in the Atwood Basin. As far as I know they are the only two with a sustained population

Here is a link to that DWR info

https://wildlife.utah.gov/news/wildlife-...intas.html
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-17-2020, 02:08 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The options to catch a true Golden in Utah are very limited. I know of two places: Echo Lake in the Murdock Basin and in the Atwood Basin. As far as I know they are the only two with a sustained population

Here is a link to that DWR info

https://wildlife.utah.gov/news/wildlife-...intas.html

Good information, thanks for confirming. Seeing this and the stocking records, it looks like the hunt for Goldens in UT will be very challenging. I love it. This forum is awesome, thanks!
(09-17-2020, 04:49 PM)happysurf22 Wrote: Good information, thanks for confirming. Seeing this and the stocking records, it looks like the hunt for Goldens in UT will be very challenging. I love it. This forum is awesome, thanks!

It's actually not difficult if one has a high clearance vehicle (preferably four-wheel drive) and is willing to drive slowly over a lengthy extremely-rough road to get to Echo Lake.  I went up there, a few years ago, and catching them on a fly was possible, but putting a small jig, tipped with a chunk of night crawler, under a bobber, it was fast action for small golden trout.
Kent, is right, Echo is very do able and fall is a great time. Might try again this fall. Atwood on the other hand is a long walk in - backpack kinda basin. I love the area. Couple unnamed lakes with big brookies, at least they did - been a few years.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-17-2020, 04:06 AM)happysurf22 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 03:42 AM)chuckbigflies Wrote: Looks like a Colorado River cutt. They often get red or orange on their bellies. I would show you some pics of both the Colorado River cutts and goldens that I’ve caught to show you the difference but can’t get my phone to upload pics.

Much appreciated! It's my first Colorado River cutt then. I would love to see what some Goldens look like in our area. Googling cutthroat strains is tougher than I'd think but I'm trying. Fun to learn it tho.

Here are the pics chuck was trying to post:

[Image: colo-river-cutt.jpg]
I believe he said this first one was a Colo river cutt, caught in Utah
The next two are goldens caught in Wyo.

[Image: 20200821-155708.jpg]
[Image: 20200822-141247-0.jpg]
(09-18-2020, 02:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 04:06 AM)happysurf22 Wrote:

Here are the pics chuck was trying to post:

[Image: colo-river-cutt.jpg]
I believe he said this first one was a Colo river cutt, caught in Utah
The next two are goldens caught in Wyo.

[Image: 20200821-155708.jpg]
[Image: 20200822-141247-0.jpg]

These pics are great, it's making sense. Picked up a used 4-wheeler today, gonna give Echo a try soon! Maybe Atwood if I can con some buddies into a brutal hike.