Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Bear!
[Image: bear.jpg]

So, on September 12, I shot my first bear. I’m very happy. On the 14th, I did my mandatory check report, and everything went well.

I wanted to show you all a picture of my first bear. It was a male, about 2 to 3 years old.

Jared

OK, I don’t know what happened. My pictures upside down!
I fixed it for you Jared, congrats on the nice bear. What part of the state were you hunting?
I shot it in the Boise national Forest. Just north of Boise. Unit 39.
(09-18-2020, 01:49 PM)Jnicholes Wrote: I shot it in the Boise national Forest. Just north of Boise. Unit 39.
I'm guessing you were hunting over a bait station, how many days, did you have to wait to get it?
Nice bear, congrats.
Yes, I was baiting. I have a baiting permit.

Took about nine days for the bear to find the barrel, and on day 13, I finally got him.

Basically, I’ve been hunting from the beginning of the season to when I shot him. August 30 to September 12.
(09-18-2020, 04:47 PM)Jnicholes Wrote: Yes, I was baiting. I have a baiting permit.

Took about nine days for the bear to find the barrel, and on day 13, I finally got him.

Basically, I’ve been hunting from the beginning of the season to when I shot him. August 30 to September 12.
The reason I ask was that it is something I've always wanted to try. Does it cost anything for a baiting permit? Did you hunt every day? Is the morning or evening a better time to hunt? How far does a bait station need to be from a road to be legal?
Well, the Fall seasons open right now if you want to give it a try. It costs about $15 for a baiting permit. You need to get them at a fish and game office. As for the time, it all depends on when the Bears find the site and when they choose to feed. For me, it was around noon. A trail camera really helps here.

As for how far it needs to be from the road? About 200 yards, I think. Don’t take my word for it, there are regulations from Idaho Fish and game that say the exact rules.

I’m just throwing this out there, but if you’re in the Boise area, I could show you the ropes. Don’t know if it’s against the forum rules to offer this or not.

Send me a private message if you’re interested. Spring season next year starts April 15, and I plan on going out at that time.
(09-18-2020, 05:36 PM)Jnicholes Wrote: Well, the Fall seasons open right now if you want to give it a try. It costs about $15 for a baiting permit. You need to get them at a fish and game office. As for the time, it all depends on when the Bears find the site and when they choose to feed. For me, it was around noon. A trail camera really helps here.

As for how far it needs to be from the road? About 200 yards, I think. Don’t take my word for it, there are regulations from Idaho Fish and game that say the exact rules.

I’m just throwing this out there, but if you’re in the Boise area, I could show you the ropes. Don’t know if it’s against the forum rules to offer this or not.

Send me a private message if you’re interested. Spring season next year starts April 15, and I plan on going out at that time.
Thanks for all the info, I won't be able to try hunting bear for a few year because I still live in Utah.  I'm planning on moving up around the Nampa area in a few years. I guess I could buy an out of state license but I'm thinking that would cost too much. I guess I should check into it. Thanks for the kind offer of showing me the ropes. 
Were you hunting from a tree stand or a ground blind? How many hours a day did you spend waiting for a bear to show up?
Usually three hours a day, every day for 13 days. I had a ground blind.
(09-18-2020, 07:56 PM)Jnicholes Wrote: Usually three hours a day, every day for 13 days. I had a ground blind.
OK great, so I guess you used the trail cam to figure out the best time of day to be there, then you just showed up before the bear and were just waiting? What do you plan on doing with it, are you going to have the hide tanned or rugged out?
That is correct. I just find out when the bear is coming, then I arrive before the bear comes.

As for what I do with it? I eat bear. It’s unethical to just waste it, so I decided to freeze it and use it for meals.

About the hide, there actually was a problem. I had a heat related incident with my freezer, and I lost it. I can’t get it tanned, it’s rotted. Decomposing. Had to throw it out. It’s a bummer, because it was my first bear.

Fortunately, the meat was OK.

That’s why I’m trying again next spring, I want to have a nice rug.
I've eaten bear, it's pretty good. As far a the hair slipping on your bear hide, you could still tan it with the hair off. I had the same thing happen with a moose I shot but still had it tanned, it made good leather for projects I've done.