Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My new money pit
So I found this boat on ksl after a few failed sales. But I was glad they failed when I found this. It is a 1989 Maxum 20' BR. It is a one owner if you could believe that by a lady that never used one day for fishing only water skiing. She pampered it I almost feel guilty using it for a fishing boat....almost!

[Image: 20200921-175404.jpg]

[Image: 20200921-175423-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20200921-182429-HDR.jpg]
Congrats, good sir. Your kids will love it.
Congrats and have fun with your new money pit.  Hopefully she will treat you better than the last one.

The layout of your boat is similar to mine.  I'm sure you'll make it into a great fishing boat.
Very nice! It will look even better on the water. Hope to see you on the big pond... soon.

Lynn
You better put plastic down so yo dont get the carpet dirdy and slimy.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Looks great, except for the color. Rolleyes
Justin, nice boat. One of the better Bayliner models.  I worked for Bayliner in Valdosta Georgia as a lamination equipment maintenance person. 
I personally don't like fiberglass boats (of any brand) they are too heavy at comparative length's with aluminum boats. But the Maxum  models seem to have been better engineered than some of the smaller Bayliner run-abouts in the 16 to 18 foot range. 
That older Force (Mercury) outboard was a fairly reliable motor. It should scoot you along quite nicely. 

You will need to fly a BFT flag from it so we don't get you mixed up with the "other" power squadron hooligans..... Big Grin
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-22-2020, 05:59 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: You better put plastic down so yo dont get the carpet dirdy and slimy.
I was going to see about getting some outdoor carpet and putting it over the other carpet. It's in pristine condition I don't want to get it all slimy.
(09-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 05:59 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: You better put plastic down so yo dont get the carpet dirdy and slimy.
I was going to see about getting some outdoor carpet and putting it over the other carpet. It's in pristine condition I don't want to get it all slimy.
get you a meat tote to put the slimy things in, they work great,
               O.C.F.D.
(09-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:

Does that carpet snap in or is it fixed down semi permanent ?  If it snaps down, just take it up, roll it up and store it somewhere cool and dry.  Get some indoor / outdoor or marine grade carpet that you can cut to same size & shape using original as pattern. Just putting indoor / outdoor carpet on top of that original can sometimes act as a really nice slip & slide.  

Cool
(09-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Justin, nice boat. One of the better Bayliner models.  I worked for Bayliner in Valdosta Georgia as a lamination equipment maintenance person. 
I personally don't like fiberglass boats (of any brand) they are too heavy at comparative length's with aluminum boats. But the Maxum  models seem to have been better engineered than some of the smaller Bayliner run-abouts in the 16 to 18 foot range. 
That older Force (Mercury) outboard was a fairly reliable motor. It should scoot you along quite nicely. 

You will need to fly a BFT flag from it so we don't get you mixed up with the "other" power squadron hooligans..... Big Grin
Thanks for the information that is interesting, I never knew. I was curious about the force being a mercury I just hadn't had time to study on it. The ladies I bought it from had it tuned every spring and once I figured how to start it it purrs like a tiger (do Tigers purr?) anyway it ran solid now once I can get to dmv to get it registered I'll be on the lake.

Does anyone know about this sticker on the side that says outboard title compliance? Is that something the dmv will give me?
[Image: 25-AE18-CE-4-C8-B-420-C-BC8-F-0-BD52-F9775-EC.jpg]
(09-22-2020, 07:59 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Justin, nice boat. One of the better Bayliner models.  I worked for Bayliner in Valdosta Georgia as a lamination equipment maintenance person. 

Thanks for the information that is interesting, I never knew. I was curious about the force being a mercury I just hadn't had time to study on it. The ladies I bought it from had it tuned every spring and once I figured how to start it it purrs like a tiger (do Tigers purr?) anyway it ran solid now once I can get to dmv to get it registered I'll be on the lake.

Is that motor a 4 stroke?  If so, you could put a trolling plate on the lower foot and troll at slower speeds.  Trolling plate would be less expensive that kicking in right away for a electric bow mount or smaller 4 stroke kicker motor. 
(just don't run it without being in water or having "ears" on the water intake)

Cool
(09-22-2020, 08:07 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

Is that motor a 4 stroke?  If so, you could put a trolling plate on the lower foot and troll at slower speeds.  Trolling plate would be less expensive that kicking in right away for a electric bow mount or smaller 4 stroke kicker motor. 
It's only a 2 stroke which I've never owned. So I have to learn about mixing oil I guess
is it oil injected? or mix in a 5 gal can? ALWAYS buy NON oxygenated gas real gas only, Mercury 2 stroke oil only, add seafoam to every tank and life will be alot better.
               O.C.F.D.
That sticker means the outboard motor and the boat are titled separately.  It was that way with my old boat.  Kind of dumb if you ask me, but I don't make the rules.
(09-22-2020, 08:12 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 08:07 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

It's only a 2 stroke which I've never owned. So I have to learn about mixing oil I guess  

OK. Older 2 strokes don't make for good trolling. They can have a tendency to "load up" when run at low RPM for extended times.  They are faster and lighter than 4 stroke of same HP.  Pro Bass folks use BIG hp 2 strokes for fast running and quick hole shots, then once they get where they want to be, they go to the electric bow mounts.  Since it was only used as a ski boat or toy puller, thats probably why is got a 2 stroke. 
If there is an owners manual with that boat / motor, give it a good close read. Probably can download one off internet also. 

Cool
(09-22-2020, 08:18 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: is it oil injected?  or mix in a 5 gal can?  ALWAYS buy NON oxygenated gas real gas only, Mercury 2 stroke oil only, add seafoam to every tank and life will be alot better.
I don't think it's oil injected but I'm not positive. The lady was awol from work so didn't have much time to spend with me so I was hoping I could get someone from here to meet up with me sometime somewhere to show me a few things that I can't figure out on my own. I'm not the smartest when it comes to mechanics or boats but I'm learning...unfortunately it's through breaking down

Does anyone know about this sticker on the side that says outboard title compliance? Is that something the dmv will give me?
[Image: 25-AE18-CE-4-C8-B-420-C-BC8-F-0-BD52-F9775-EC.jpg]

I'm don't think Utah still titles both motor and boat separately .  My first boat was a brand new 2004  17 foot Lund Pro-Sport with a 115 HP outboard.  They were not titled separately . When I asked the dealer why not, I was told that the original thought behind separate titles on outboard motors was because they were "removeable" from the boat.  Well I've never tried to unbolt and remove a 115 HP 4 stroke outboard, but I'm sure it isn't easy without special tools and a lift. Not an item that could be stolen on impulse by quickly reaching in and grabbing it.  My present 14 foot Lund came originally with a 15 hp otbd and it was not separately titled, and now the new 25 hp I re-motored it with this spring, is not separately  titled either.   
There may be a HP limit that determines weather it is or isn't. But I'm sure the DMV could answer that question. 

Cool
Thanks Forrest all the info helps me understand my boat better. We are going to use it to pull tubes as my kids are at that age but mostly fishing. I'm hopefully going to get a bow mount trolling motor for it I just need to sell my other boat first. Also need a fish finder which I could probably take other one off my old boat
(09-22-2020, 08:45 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 08:18 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: is it oil injected?  or mix in a 5 gal can?  ALWAYS buy NON oxygenated gas real gas only, Mercury 2 stroke oil only, add seafoam to every tank and life will be alot better.
I don't think it's oil injected but I'm not positive. The lady was awol from work so didn't have much time to spend with me so I was hoping I could get someone from here to meet up with me sometime somewhere to show me a few things that I can't figure out on my own. I'm not the smartest when it comes to mechanics or boats but I'm learning...unfortunately it's through breaking down
 The boat is a 1989 model..... right?  And I assume the motor is same year. That's 31 year old boat and motor. I don't believe that oil injected 2 stroke motors were built that long ago.  You will probably need to mix oil with the gas at a specific rate (of which I have no idea) 
Like MSM1970 said, ALWAYS use Non oxygenated gas, thats sold at most every Maverick station (and others) with "Blue" nozzles that means it has NO CORN derivative in it.  Regular gas now days has 10 to even 20 percent CORN additive. That gas in a motor that is carbureted (not fuel injected) will gum up the carburetor jets, floats, filters, etc. if allowed to sit for extended time (like over the winter). 

3 ways you can prevent that:
 1-  ALWAYS use Ethanol-Free in the boat (or in small gas equipment like lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc. that may sit unused for seasons)  
2.- In the boat especially, use a fuel additive (Sta-bil, Sea Foam, etc) and ONLY Mercury 2 stroke oil. 
3.- Since I imagine the boat has an under deck fuel tank that is piped to the motor by either solid stainless or silver rubber lines, there should be a petcock (shut off valve) in the gas line somewhere near the motor. When you are getting off water for the day, while the boat is on the trailer and secured, with the motor still in the water enough to draw cooling water, shut off the gas line. Then run motor  in Neutral until it stops (runs out of gas left in carburetor and line between valve and fuel pump) This will greatly reduce the possibility of gum up from sitting fuel. 

Cool