Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Outboard woes
Wink 
Well it's been a little while since I have run my boat, my fault . So anyway I decided it was time to get it back in shape and start getting it back out on the water. I was getting it ready to go , changed the plugs, oils , and decided to purchase a metal water trough to run the motor in before I took it out to Willard to make a maintenance run. 
               Well I guess I  let it sit too long , The fuel system was all messed up , so I proceeded to check the fuel pump and filter. The filter seemed fine but I thought I would change it anyway , then I decided to pull the fuel pump and rebuild it . I couldn't find a rebuild kit around town so I called Lee at Lee's Marine in Hyrum and he had a kit and a filter . Got the pump rebuilt and installed the filter. Tried to run the motor in the trough and it was running very Ratty , missing  coughing and blowing blue smoke. Ok , so now it's time for the process of elimination. 
                While I was working on this project , BDuck called and was asking what I was up to for the day so I started to tell him about the motor and he was more than glad to come over to help. Most times i like to do these kind of things myself , but there were some other things that I didn't think to look at that he brought to my attention. I was glad he was there, it never hurts to have a second set of eyes and ears. 
                We found that my regulator/rectifier was Fried , which explained why my Tach wasn't working and my gauges were acting strange. So I ordered one of those and replaced it , one problem solved. I ended up pulling the carbs cleaned them up and out and it ran a little better , but still not up to Par. moved back to the fuel line from the motor to the through hull fitting and found that the squeeze bulb would not hold any pressure at all. BDuck brought over one he had changed from his boat and it still worked so I need to replace that . after tuning the carbs and making sure there were no leaks , we headed out to Willard bay for a maintenance run. We made one more adjustment at the dock and away we went , The motor wound up and ran very nicely , tried a Hole Shot run with no problems at all run very well. I want to Thank BDuck for his help and ideas over the last 2 days . I won't let this happen again. LESSON LEARNED.
Thumbs Up 
Glad I was there to help out Dan. You've had a full plate going most of the summer with it finally clearing some so you can address the issues with your boat. Time to exercise the boat getting it use to FISHING again. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Always great to have skilled and helpful friends. I have been blessed with many.
(09-23-2020, 04:12 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Always great to have skilled and helpful friends.  I have been blessed with many.

I am happy to say that the motor runs really well right now . Still has an issue on the idle end but for the most part usable .
(09-26-2020, 03:45 AM)AFDan52 Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 04:12 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Always great to have skilled and helpful friends.  I have been blessed with many.

I am happy to say that the motor runs really well right now . Still has an issue on the idle end but for the most part usable .
Glad you got your motor up and running again Dan. do you run Sea Foam or some other additive in your gas?
(09-26-2020, 04:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 03:45 AM)AFDan52 Wrote:

Glad you got your motor up and running again Dan. do you run Sea Foam or some other additive in your gas?
   Hi Curt , yeah , I use Seafoam regularly Most of these problems i ha with my motor I hate to but were self induced.
Happy to hear your working through the bugs. I had mine up to Lees for a few small things. Fuel pump rebuild, and accelerator pump. They do great work there. Its hard for even them to get parts right now. One part i needed finally arrived two months after order and my boat is back at Lees as i type and getting finished up (accelerator pump) Mine also runs like a champ.
(09-23-2020, 05:27 AM)AFDan52 Wrote: Well it's been a little while since I have run my boat, my fault . So anyway I decided it was time to get it back in shape and start getting it back out on the water. I was getting it ready to go , changed the plugs, oils , and decided to purchase a metal water trough to run the motor in before I took it out to Willard to make a maintenance run. 
               Well I guess I  let it sit too long , The fuel system was all messed up , so I proceeded to check the fuel pump and filter. The filter seemed fine but I thought I would change it anyway , then I decided to pull the fuel pump and rebuild it . I couldn't find a rebuild kit around town so I called Lee at Lee's Marine in Hyrum and he had a kit and a filter . Got the pump rebuilt and installed the filter. Tried to run the motor in the trough and it was running very Ratty , missing  coughing and blowing blue smoke. Ok , so now it's time for the process of elimination. 
                While I was working on this project , BDuck called and was asking what I was up to for the day so I started to tell him about the motor and he was more than glad to come over to help. Most times i like to do these kind of things myself , but there were some other things that I didn't think to look at that he brought to my attention. I was glad he was there, it never hurts to have a second set of eyes and ears. 
                We found that my regulator/rectifier was Fried , which explained why my Tach wasn't working and my gauges were acting strange. So I ordered one of those and replaced it , one problem solved. I ended up pulling the carbs cleaned them up and out and it ran a little better , but still not up to Par. moved back to the fuel line from the motor to the through hull fitting and found that the squeeze bulb would not hold any pressure at all. BDuck brought over one he had changed from his boat and it still worked so I need to replace that . after tuning the carbs and making sure there were no leaks , we headed out to Willard bay for a maintenance run. We made one more adjustment at the dock and away we went , The motor wound up and ran very nicely , tried a Hole Shot run with no problems at all run very well. I want to Thank BDuck for his help and ideas over the last 2 days . I won't let this happen again. LESSON LEARNED.

Nice to see one BFT member helping another. But that's what I would not be surprised to learn from 2  USAF veterans. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool