Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 9/23
I had the opportunity to head out on Pineview with Thor from Zero Baits on Wednesday (9/23) looking to gain some insight to the crappie population. We started out looking around his favorite points for structure or slopes that might hold them. 

Found some decent ones in 20’ of water and they were around 15’ down. The bite was light but we managed a few decent ones. Using jig heads with his zero and sub zero pods for the plastic trailer. 

We searched some nearby areas for bass but didn’t find much action. Thor did manage to pick up one 14” smallie. I picked up a 12-ish cat on a Ned rig. 

Left those spots in search of some bluegill. We found active smaller crappie and some bluegill in 26’ feet of water and the fish were between 5’ and 12’ down. This time the bites were more of a negative bite. We were vertical jigging and if the line didn’t go tight you set the hook. 

Overall an enjoyable day on the water and some food for the table. 

[Image: 372-C5-A19-A0-BC-4-E07-A04-A-B9-E4137269-AC.jpg]

[Image: 0-C7-D5-D4-B-9784-44-EC-9-C2-E-4429-F641555-F.jpg]

[Image: D792-F7-F8-2-C4-E-409-F-B33-E-601-FEF1-A760-E.jpg]
Thanks for the report, I was just ask about where to go to catch crappie and told them PV but what I hate this time of the year it they are still charging to launch, is that still the case? If so, how much did you have to pay?
(09-25-2020, 07:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, I was just ask about where to go to catch crappie and told them PV but what I hate this time of the year it they are still charging to launch, is that still the case? If so, how much did you have to pay?

Yes they are still charging to launch. $18
(09-25-2020, 08:07 PM)JArner Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 07:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, I was just ask about where to go to catch crappie and told them PV but what I hate this time of the year it they are still charging to launch, is that still the case? If so, how much did you have to pay?

Thanks and nice going at getting on the fish there.
(09-25-2020, 08:07 PM)JArner Wrote:

Man that is way too much, I'm sure the Power Squadron doesn't have a problem paying those prices, most of them have a boatload when they go out to tear up the water. a lot of us old retirees cant afford those prices. That use to be a beautiful lake to fish back in the 70s when I first got stationed here. No charges then.  Cry
Curious what your sonar looked like? Were they schooled up tight, or spread out? I was shore fishing there first part of this week. It was breezy, so I put on a slip rig and let the wind troll my jig searching around. Would not get any action until my lure got within a 5ft circle of this particular piece of structure. If I missed my mark a smidge, or the wind changed course, no nibbles for me. Sounds like you searched a little bit, so I’m hoping they haven’t spread out and are still holding tight. Pulled a bunch of dandy gills and two crappie out of that little spot.
I don't get to Pineview very much, but seem to recollect launch is administered by the same company that administers Strawberry. If you have a Strawberry season pass, will it also work at Pineview?
(09-26-2020, 12:49 AM)brookie Wrote: I don't get to Pineview very much, but seem to recollect launch is administered by the same company that administers Strawberry. If you have a Strawberry season pass, will it also work at Pineview?
No, according to Robert, you have to pay an additional fee if you want to fish both lake. I can't remember how much it cost in addition to what you pay for just Strawberry but I bet Robert would know.
(09-26-2020, 01:11 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:49 AM)brookie Wrote: I don't get to Pineview very much, but seem to recollect launch is administered by the same company that administers Strawberry. If you have a Strawberry season pass, will it also work at Pineview?
No, according to Robert, you have to pay an additional fee if you want to fish both lake. I can't remember how much it cost in addition to what you pay for just Strawberry but I bet Robert would know.

That makes sense. I figured it was Robert that asked you about Pineview crappie. We fished Idaho Sturgeon this week, not too successfully. He was hoping for some crappie for bait when he goes back next week.

I did have 1 sturgeon on but the drag failed. Now I know what it is like to be tied to a truck with 120 lb braid. Jerked me off my feet, but I did not loose the rod. For a minute I thought I was going water skiing. Fun being with Robert anyway.
(09-26-2020, 12:15 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Curious what your sonar looked like? Were they schooled up tight, or spread out? I was shore fishing there first part of this week. It was breezy, so I put on a slip rig and let the wind troll my jig searching around. Would not get any action until my lure got within a 5ft circle of this particular piece of structure. If I missed my mark a smidge, or the wind changed course, no nibbles for me. Sounds like you searched a little bit, so I’m hoping they haven’t spread out and are still holding tight. Pulled a bunch of dandy gills and two crappie out of that little spot.

Yeah the fish were schooled up, we kind of parked off the side of them and hugged till we drifted too far, then circled back over them. In fact in the last spot we were in I was catching them off the back of the boat while the angler in the bow was getting nothing.

[quote]Man that is way too much, I'm sure the Power Squadron doesn't have a problem paying those prices, most of them have a boatload when they go out to tear up the water. a lot of us old retirees cant afford those prices. That use to be a beautiful lake to fish back in the 70s when I first got stationed here. No charges then.  Cry[\quote]

I agree the charges are out of control. I don’t launch my waverunners there because they charge per boat  Angry .
I have the Strawberry/Pineview Pass and it is $155.
Thanks for the info. I probably don’t make it to Pineview enough to justify the additional expense. Good to know.
Interesting, I haven’t looked at what the Pineview pass cost is. I thought it was around that cost ($155).
(09-27-2020, 04:10 AM)talyn Wrote: I have the Strawberry/Pineview Pass and it is $155.
Thanks for the info Talyn, how much is it just for Strawberry?
Boat launch - $9.00 per vessel
Dump Station Fee - $10.00 
Strawberry Reservoir Season Boat Launch Pass - $105.00
Strawberry Reservoir Weekly Boat Launch Pass - $55.00
Day use at fishing access parking - $10.00
Strawberry Reservoir Season Day Use Pass - $105.00
Strawberry Reservoir Weekly Day Use Pass - $55.00 
Extra Vehicle - $9.00 per vehicle