Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor issues and the help I received
A few years back I lost a cyl in my 90 HP Johnson, so I started looking for a replacement motor and found a 90 HP Evinrude to replace my Johnson. The motor ran OK, started up a lot better than my Johnson but I lost about 10 mph on my top end speed, going from 37 mph to 27 mph. I hated that but I've learned to live with it. This year I was telling Roger(Bduck) about it and after taking him out in my boat he pointed out a few things that could help me. One thing was the the motor height, I guess when they installed it, they put it on the lowest setting the motor had, so it was setting too low in the water. I raised it to the highest setting and took it out this week, the motor runs better but really no improvement on the top end speed. Another issue that I had been noticing was my RPM gage did not seem to be read correctly, we figured out part of it was because my old motor was a 4 cyl and the new motor is a 3 cyl. Now I need to find the correct gage for that motor to see what RPM the motor is running at. If it is too low, I might need to get another prop but that issue can't be addressed until I get a gage. Anyone have any suggestion on where to look for a 3 cyl RPM gage? 
Also I want to thank Roger for his help.
(10-03-2020, 10:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Anyone have any suggestion on where to look for a 3 cyl RPM gage? 
On the backside of some tack's there is a switch to select the number of cylinders you want the tack to read.
(10-04-2020, 03:19 PM)Fowl-Hook Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 10:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Anyone have any suggestion on where to look for a 3 cyl RPM gage? 
On the backside of some tack's there is a switch to select the number of cylinders you want the tack to read.
Good to hear, guess I can try looking for one on Ebay or maybe even Amazon.
Might see if you can find a boat scrap yard on line, I've found them for snowmobiles.
(10-04-2020, 04:08 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Might see if you can find a boat scrap yard on line, I've found them for snowmobiles.
Good idea, I would not have thought about that.
I'd imagine there's got to be a few around the great lakes area, or some of the states that have a ton of lakes.
Would this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Tach-Ho...8bc368fce0
(10-04-2020, 07:03 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Would this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Tach-Ho...8bc368fce0
Wow, that is a great deal, I'll look at it closer but it looks like it just might do the trick, thanks Kent.