Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone gone to Panguitch?
Just wondering if anyone has any idea if the fish are coming shallower at Panguitch these days? It's been so hot this year, it just seems to refuse to cool down and it's been weird for the fishing this Fall. Everything is several weeks behind where it was in years past it seems.
At the risk of having someone tell me that "the science doesn't support that", I'm going to go out on a limb and say: things are, and will continue to cool down [at Panguitch Lake].

predicted low in the Town of Panguitch for Thursday is 27F. For Friday it is 29F. So, again, yes it is cooling down.

Are the fish coming shallow? I can't answer that for you. Sounds like we need you to head up there, then report back to us.
(10-14-2020, 08:51 PM)PBH Wrote: At the risk of having someone tell me that "the science doesn't support that", I'm going to go out on a limb and say:  things are, and will continue to cool down [at Panguitch Lake].

predicted low in the Town of Panguitch for Thursday is 27F.  For Friday it is 29F.  So, again, yes it is cooling down.

Are the fish coming shallow?  I can't answer that for you.  Sounds like we need you to head up there, then report back to us.

Sounds good, I live in Cedar City and try to head over to Panguitch Lake every 10ish days. Just hadn't had tons of success the last time or two so I was wanting to see if anyone else had been up and had better success. All good though, I'll run up there this next week probably since I'm a bit busy this week.
(10-14-2020, 07:07 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Just wondering if anyone has any idea if the fish are coming shallower at Panguitch these days? It's been so hot this year, it just seems to refuse to cool down and it's been weird for the fishing this Fall. Everything is several weeks behind where it was in years past it seems.

Fish are ALWAYS shallow at Panguitch, common misconception up there that they go deep in the summer. We catch them all summer long in 3-6 ft of water in the bays, and those are trophy size bows and tigers (with some cutts in the mix) with some days reaching 100+ fish between the two of us. We were just up there 2 weekends ago and still go into the fatty bows and cutts in that same depth, but the tigers were a little more scarce with the water receding out of the shallow, flooded brush that they like to stalk in. Find yourself a bay with vegetation in it, and fish along the edges, you'll be in business all day long!
(10-20-2020, 08:17 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Fish are ALWAYS shallow at Panguitch, common misconception up there that they go deep in the summer. We catch them all summer long in 3-6 ft of water in the bays, and those are trophy size bows and tigers (with some cutts in the mix) with some days reaching 100+ fish between the two of us. We were just up there 2 weekends ago and still go into the fatty bows and cutts in that same depth, but the tigers were a little more scarce with the water receding out of the shallow, flooded brush that they like to stalk in. Find yourself a bay with vegetation in it, and fish along the edges, you'll be in business all day long!

I hear ya, I just don't have a float tube to fish out of or I would be into em, right now I'm mainly waiting for them to come close to the other shorelines haha but thank you!
With the pressure it's taking this year I'm curious to know how many fish are left. I've never seen so many people fishing as this year, and not just on the weekends.
(10-23-2020, 09:24 PM)Saltslam Wrote: With the pressure it's taking this year I'm curious to know how many fish are left. I've never seen so many people fishing as this year, and not just on the weekends.

Your right about the pressure and I have never fished anywhere that I have seen so many fish harvested.  I mean those folks on the rental toons were putting everything on the stringer. 

Some of the fish hadn't been out of the truck very long.  Tongue
(10-20-2020, 09:02 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 08:17 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Fish are ALWAYS shallow at Panguitch, common misconception up there that they go deep in the summer. We catch them all summer long in 3-6 ft of water in the bays, and those are trophy size bows and tigers (with some cutts in the mix) with some days reaching 100+ fish between the two of us. We were just up there 2 weekends ago and still go into the fatty bows and cutts in that same depth, but the tigers were a little more scarce with the water receding out of the shallow, flooded brush that they like to stalk in. Find yourself a bay with vegetation in it, and fish along the edges, you'll be in business all day long!

I hear ya, I just don't have a float tube to fish out of or I would be into em, right now I'm mainly waiting for them to come close to the other shorelines haha but thank you!

That's what I'm trying to tell ya, they are always shallow and you can always catch them wading from the shore.
Welp with this recent cold weather the algae bloom has pretty much completely died off at Panguitch and the fishing is on fire! Happy to report catching dozens of rainbows and some cutts and tigers mixed in. Finally fish are shallow and fishable. It's dang cold though!