Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Survived
COVID, this is a harsh virus. My wife had a doctors appt Oct 15 at the U of U in SLC and afterwards we did some shopping at Costco in SLC. The Costco is where we feel we contracted COVID. We were being cautious wearing our masks and using hand sanitizers. By Oct 24 I was starting to feel bad. By Tuesday my wife was starting to get sick. I made contact with my doctors office Oct 27 as my condition worsened which I knew I would not be able to get in on a walk-in type appt but instead a virtual was set up for when the doctor became available. It only took maybe 2hrs for the doctor to get back with me from that point. After talking with the doctor he felt we had the virus but to confirm it he had to issue a doctors order for the test. We immediately went to the hospital and upon arrival we notified the Dr's office as instructed where they sent down the order by one of their assistants. The test took place at the hospital where we didn't have to leave our vehicle. 2days later Oct 26 the results of the test came in as positive. The CDC then contacted us quarantining us in place and issued dates to be released from quarantine. Both of us being above 65yrs old have pre-existing conditions. With the maintenance program I was on with medications and the way I was feeling I knew I was going to get thru this without hospitalization. My wife's symptoms were different since she has had a muscle disease all of her life. While I was going thru a period of sickness I was weak and had to divert attention to my wife to get her thru this. I took up all of the house chores of what I could so she could also recover at this point. One thing we all hear about is a fever that usually goes with this crud, we never got a fever at all. I think this was a key in our survival without hospitalization. We have a couple of neighbors that helped us thru this supplying some meals and did some grocery shopping for us. That was one thing that hit us hard was loss of appetite, loss of taste & smell, I lost 15lbs and my wife lost only about 5lbs, she doesn't have any fat to lose like I do. I feel I can't seem to thank my neighbors enough for their help. We are over this crud and doing good now. Oh ya, Nov 2 was our 46th anniversary we spent in quarantine peaking with COVID. Recovery will be on going for a while until we can get back to full strength.
My suggestion to all is be very diligent about your surroundings. One doesn't know if they will come in contact with a carrier. We are still susceptible to catching this again & hoping to be in the front lines for the vaccine. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Sorry for your set back but happy you're both on the mend. This covid crud is scary to mess with especially for folks in our age bracket.

We all need to mask up and do our part, the vaccine cant come fast enough, and then once its available for all you know not everyone will get it as they won't all even get flu shots but hopefully more will do both after this year's experience.

Take care!
So glad the outcome looks positive for you both now. I worry a lot about it with my wife with MS and my son who is paraplegic. It good to hear you pulled through
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sorry to hear that you caught the Corona virus, but glad to hear that you came through it. Fortunately, we have been able to avoid it, so far.
Glad to hear that you two are on the mend.

Hope that you get back full recovery soon.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Glad you and your wife made it through that experience Roger. If you look up the numbers of covid virus cases in Utah by the county, you will see that Salt lake and Utah counties have the highest cases of the virus, one reason I won't be going to any place in those two counties until this is over. This might not help you, maybe it will but I heard from a friend yesterday that they are now scheduling appointments for those that want to get the vaccine shot for the covid virus. From what he said, you can only schedule the appointment and they are not giving out the shots until the end of Dec or the first of Jan depending on your age. If you don't mind me asking, what blood type do you have, I've been hearing that those the have type O have the best chance of survival. Scary times we are living in. Sorry you and your wife had to go through this but glad you two have made it through the worst of it.
Thanks all for the well wishes. It must be true about the blood type from the info provided, I have the type O and wife has same.
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(11-22-2020, 01:20 AM)Bduck Wrote: Thanks all for the well wishes. It must be true about the blood type from the info provided, I have the type O and wife has same.
Well that was lucky for you two, wish I had that blood type.
Glad your both on the mends Roger
Unfortunately the virus takes a lot out of one and not everyone gets the same symptoms. Recovery from this is a longer process as it has been havoc on the respiratory system. I had a project lined up for this winter in preparation of sanding the boat for a new paint job next summer. All dusty/dirty air projects are on hold so I decided to keep it clean with a seamstress project and make a new Bimini, backdrop & side curtains, providing I can handle some of the cold. Its also going to depend on if material & other supplies are going to be available with the more COVID current shutdowns taking effect. I have the machine that will do the job which is a Singer 251-12 commercial grade.
Harrisville UT
Very happy to hear you and your bride survived.  We have very close friends in Michigan in their late 70s that both came down with it and he did not survive due to other health issues.  Hopes and prayers to you both for a full recovery.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Glad you're feeling better. I get my second vaccination on Friday morning. Will be relieved to have that s*** out of the way. I'm in the same boat at 67. I don't go out much other than to go fishing. Age sure has a way of resetting your expectations.
We got our 1st vaccine Mar 8 and now going back this morning for the 2nd series. We both felt side effects the day after and hoping we don't go thru that again.
Harrisville UT
(03-29-2021, 02:30 PM)Bduck Wrote: We got our 1st vaccine Mar 8 and now going back this morning for the 2nd series. We both felt side effects the day after and hoping we don't go thru that again.
Since you already had C-19 does the shot give you even more protection than someone that did not get the virus? We get our second shot this Weds, my wife had a mild reaction to the first shot, hopefully the second one goes better. Hope your second shot goes well Roger.
Luckily I didn't have any effects after my first shot last week. Hope the second shot goes as well in mid April.
(03-29-2021, 05:03 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Luckily I didn't have any effects after my first shot last week. Hope the second shot goes as well in mid April.
We got the Moderna shot, which one did you get?
(03-29-2021, 05:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 05:03 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Luckily I didn't have any effects after my first shot last week. Hope the second shot goes as well in mid April.
We got the Moderna shot, which one did you get?
I, too had the Moderna with my first shot and will with my second. But I didn't even feel the needle go in, that's how painless it was. I guess I'm one of the fortunate few in that regard.
I also received the Morderna vaccine.