Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucky Peak 11-27-20
(02-28-2021, 02:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 05:49 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 12:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: My son and I made our first trip to LP today after a failed attempt to fish lake lowell. Decided to try lake lowell this morning after seeing reports of high winds at LP. Went to all three boat ramps and they were all closed, anyone know why they close up the lake to launching? 
 Decided to give LP a try anyway, we arrived to a pretty stiff breeze but we launched anyway, heading up the lake. We were trolling kokanee type dodger/spinner setups, on the surface, along with trout lures but LP was was not lucky for us. When the wind calmed down we even stopped to jig over a stack of fish but they were not interested. We started seeing a lot of boats as we headed back in and by the time we got off the water there was close to a dozen boats that had either launched or were getting ready to launch, Maybe the bite is better there in the afternoon or evening hours but it was still nice to get out, learn a new lake and be out with my son for some fishing.
It's a federal migratory waterfowl nesting area. No launches until April 15.

(02-28-2021, 05:49 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 12:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: My son and I made our first trip to LP today after a failed attempt to fish lake lowell. Decided to try lake lowell this morning after seeing reports of high winds at LP. Went to all three boat ramps and they were all closed, anyone know why they close up the lake to launching? 
 Decided to give LP a try anyway, we arrived to a pretty stiff breeze but we launched anyway, heading up the lake. We were trolling kokanee type dodger/spinner setups, on the surface, along with trout lures but LP was was not lucky for us. When the wind calmed down we even stopped to jig over a stack of fish but they were not interested. We started seeing a lot of boats as we headed back in and by the time we got off the water there was close to a dozen boats that had either launched or were getting ready to launch, Maybe the bite is better there in the afternoon or evening hours but it was still nice to get out, learn a new lake and be out with my son for some fishing.
It's a federal migratory waterfowl nesting area. No launches until April 15. I have friends that fish LP in boats and off the bank several days a week. The fishing has been pretty poor going on it's 3rd year now. 
April 15th, wow, that is a long off season, are all federal migratory lakes like that? I heard it was just lake lowell that had the rule but I have no idea for sure. 
That's too bad about LP, I had heard a similar story but I wasn't sure if stocking numbers were down or just that there are so many people fishing it that it gets fished out pretty quick.
Lucky Peak is not a federal lake. You can fish it anytime you want. Its just lake lowell
 I was only talking about Lake Lowell, I realize LP is not a Federal lake, that is why it was open last Nov when I was there but thanks for the info.