Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAV Tags
Yesterday was tough trying to get online and purchase my DAV elk tag.  I hit the mouse at 0945 and ended up being number 3876 in the que, waited 30 minutes, selected my DAV elk tag, then got kicked out by the 5 minute timer in the checkout window watching the spinning circle for over 4 minutes.  Reattempted, only to be booted again because the quota of 300 DAV elk tags sold out.
I'm a 100% disabled veteran that is originally from Idaho and have hunted the same area archery since the 1980's.  My question is why Idaho limited the number to 300 DAV when they capped every OTC unit I could hunt?  I've read the online explanation of overcrowding, and believe me, I've experienced it real bad the last 4 years with the boom in the east.  But this seems to be smelling like revenue!  I retired from the service in Utah in 2013 and choose to stay due family issues, so as you can guess, I get a lot of flack from "locals" when they see my license plates in the field.  What those locals don't know, is that I am a relocated local that hunted these canyons when most of them where in diapers or just a thought to their parents.  I don't even hunt Utah!
So this might seem like a rant, but what is good for one should be good for all!  Make 0 DAV opportunities or make it unlimited with all OTC areas being capped to begin with.  I hunt with 2 other DV's, one was able to get his tag this year.  Myself and the other both paid full price and barley made it before the area was capped.
I expect these OTC areas to become a draw before my young son has the opportunity to hunt OTC.
Let me know if you have any insight to the states decision, it will be appreciated