Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat straightening
Does anyone know of a local company that will straighten a boat trailer frame.  If not, does anyone have a trailer for sale that will handle an 18' boat?
Sounds like a Sad story behind this question
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-08-2020, 09:32 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Sounds like a Sad story behind this question
Yeah. Let's hear the story before you get your answer.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(12-08-2020, 09:28 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Does anyone know of a local company that will straighten a boat trailer frame.  If not, does anyone have a trailer for sale that will handle an 18' boat?
This time I swear that it wasn't me.  Big Grin
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Here is a thread that discusses the issue 
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...+alignment
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I would check with Sids alignment in Springville.
Most likely a ways for you.
He straightened a friends boat trailer frame. And I know multiple people that have had similar trailer issues and they have been able to fix them.
Without first hand knowledge I have heard they will even make semi trailers track.

Hope this helps.
(12-09-2020, 12:11 AM)PACMEN Wrote: I would check with Sids alignment in Springville.
Most likely a ways for you.
He straightened a friends boat trailer frame. And I know multiple people that have had similar trailer issues and they have been able to fix them.
Without first hand knowledge I have heard they will even make semi trailers track.

Hope this helps.

That sounds great, I will give them a call tomorrow.  I hope that they can work on it with the boat still on it; otherwise, I guess I will be getting it fixed in the spring.

(12-08-2020, 09:32 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Sounds like a Sad story behind this question

Let's just say that I am grateful that I only damaged the back side of my Armada and my boat trailer.  It could have been much worse.  I am thankful that there were no injuries to my fishing buddy or me.  Let's just leave it at, I need to not be in such a hurry, when I am headed out to my fishing hole!

I am also blessed to have friends, like Randy, who have the experience and skills to fix things, and the willingness to do so, that would otherwise cost me a small fortune to get repaired.
I contacted Sids Alignment and although he aligns trailers he doesn't do much straightening of trailers. He referred me to Abney RV Trailer Repair and after seeing the attached picture he responded that the trailer was not repairable. I just asked for further clarification, "Do you feel it is beyond repair because it would be impossible to straighten the frame or are you saying that if it were straightened that the metal would be weakened too much, or something else?"
[Image: Boat-trailer.png]
Ouch...glad all is ok, except the trailer of course. I have cut a welded sections into a trailer before to repair damage but never that much. Not suprised they were hesitant
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I just got a reply, "It could be straightened and repaired but the labor cost to repair it would be too high. A new trailer would be a cheaper option." That must be a ton of labor, because the quote I got for a new trailer was $3,400. That is why I am looking for a "used trailer" for my "used" boat.
Sorry for your loss Kent. Besides the damaged trailer is the damaged pride. Things like that can happen to any of us.
Ouweee, have you tried tried Executive Yaught Sales in Salt Lake City. It's possible they could have some empty used trailers. Craig's list is another, I've seen trailers listed there
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(12-10-2020, 01:17 AM)Bduck Wrote: Ouweee, have you tried tried Executive Yaught Sales in Salt Lake City. It's possible they could have some empty used trailers. Craig's list is another, I've seen trailers listed there

I just checked Craig's list and nothing.  A couple on KSL, but they are double axles and that would mean that I would just be spending more money on rubber and state taxes.  If I have to wait until spring, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
TJ trailers in Ogden, they do great work, might be worth getting another quote.
OUCH! I would 2nd giving TJ's a call, they have helped me with my enclosed and boat trailer in the past although the damage was not as significant. New trailer might be the only option.
Over the years I have seen many used boat trailer but i'm sure you are aware that almost any used one would need to be modified to fit your boats design.  In a perfect world, all the parts on your old trailer could be swapped over but it might that some extensive welding to fabricate the design. I know a place in N Ogden that had a few trailers a few year ago, I'll drive by there later today and see if they are still there.
Call the insurance company.
That looks rough.  Its kind of hard to tell but that looks like it might be a Metal Craft trailer? If so they are made in South Salt Lake. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they can do for you.  My trailer is a Metal Craft and I got a replacement axel from them and they were great to work with.
looks like you need a new trailer 
keep looking you may be able to come up with a good price

talk to 
http://www.metalcrafttrailers.com/index.html

Metal Craft Trailers
Address:
2740 South 400 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
Fax: (801) 487-2171
Phone: (801) 487-7586

I can send that picture to my grandson in law he has a body shop his dad Stan is my fishing buddy
http://www.rickwarnerbodyshop.com/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9DHQzaCdMbI
Kent, just got back from that place in N Ogden where I saw those boat trailers, they are still there but when I called the guy that is leasing the property, he said they belong to someone else. He said he would pass along my phone number to him but it might be a few days before I hear back from him and of course if he does not want to sell them, I might never hear back from him. One thing I wanted to mention, a tandem axle trailer would also work for your boat, you just need to remove one of the axles. Robert had a tandem axle on his boat trailer for a little while but took off the second axle when he had problems, so don't shy away from a tandem axle trailer, if that is all you can find.