Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat straightening
Thanks for all of the concern and assistance offered. The trailer is a Brunswick trailer and numerous folks suggested that I contact Metal Craft Trailers. I towed the boat down there, a couple days ago, and they do not straighten boat trailers. He gave me a written quote to build a new trailer for $3,400.

Today, I took the trailer by a welding company I have dealt with before and got a quote of between $1,200 and $1,600 and was advised to not have it repaired and to look for a used trailer.

Although, the trailer was insured the coverage was so low that I am not going to even file a claim (they would just increase my rates). Perhaps, I should have insured it for more, but I allocated most of the coverage to the boat and the outboard.

I physically checked out one trailer (too light for my boat) and I am in discussions regarding a couple other trailers (one has a boat on it, but I could just visit the dump).
(12-08-2020, 09:28 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Does anyone know of a local company that will straighten a boat trailer frame.  If not, does anyone have a trailer for sale that will handle an 18' boat?
Kent i seen a few boats and trailers on ksl for $ 300 to $1000  could buy the 1 of them as an option take the boat to the junk yard and keep the trailer.
(12-11-2020, 02:25 AM)icejunkie Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 09:28 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Does anyone know of a local company that will straighten a boat trailer frame.  If not, does anyone have a trailer for sale that will handle an 18' boat?
Kent i seen a few boats and trailers on ksl for $ 300 to $1000  could buy the 1 of them as an option take the boat to the junk yard and keep the trailer.

Thanks, I have checked out some of them, but haven't found anything that I like yet.  I have plenty of time before spring though.
Check with Taurus Trailers in SLC. 4645 South 500 West, Murray. (801) 266-4420
Did you not hear or feel this smashing the back of you tow vehicle?  Holy cow!  Glad you are safe but I don't know anyone who has had more crazy, damaging and costly things happen to them while either going fishing, fishing, or returning from fishing.  Glad the boat didn't get crushed too!
(12-11-2020, 10:14 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Did you not hear or feel this smashing the back of you tow vehicle?  Holy cow!  Glad you are safe but I don't know anyone who has had more crazy, damaging and costly things happen to them while either going fishing, fishing, or returning from fishing.  Glad the boat didn't get crushed too!

I saw, I heard and I felt, but too late to do anything about it.  

"...I don't know anyone who has had more crazy, damaging and costly things happen to them while either going fishing, fishing, or returning from fishing."

Well, I'm glad I'm good at something. Sad
Kent, sorry for the trouble and glad you are OK.
I was cruising Craigs list and saw this ad. The guy seems to have several trailers. Maybe give him a call and if it's promising you can do a zoom call and have him show you the trailers before you make the drive.
It appears to be a marina of some type so I would have your boat specs handy for them, it may help them know if they can help you.

https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/d/nampa...65976.html

Good luck.
(12-12-2020, 06:19 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Kent, sorry for the trouble and glad you are OK.
I was cruising Craigs list  and saw this ad.  The guy seems to have several trailers.  Maybe give him a call and if it's promising you can do a zoom call and have him show you the trailers before you make the drive.
It appears to be a marina of some type so I would have your boat specs handy for them, it may help them know if they can help you.

https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/d/nampa...65976.html

Good luck.

Thanks

(12-10-2020, 10:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: One thing I wanted to mention, a tandem axle trailer would also work for your boat, you just need to remove one of the axles. Robert had a tandem axle on his boat trailer for a little while but took off the second axle when he had problems, so don't shy away from a tandem axle trailer, if that is all you can find.

That might work, but one would have to be extremely careful doing that if the trailer was intended to have tandem axles.  I am actually leaning towards getting a trailer with tandem axles.  I have experienced the excitement of having a boat trailer blow out, while driving down the freeway at 65 - 70 mph.  It is no fun trying to safely stop ASAP.  It is a rare experience, when this happens, that the rim is also not destroyed.  It would be comforting to know that if one tire blows out there is highly likely, another tire still doing its job.
I purchased a trailer. It should be a step up from my prior trailer (even before it was damaged).
[Image: 3965916-1606154525-115668.jpg]
That's a good looking trailer. With the rollers will you have to modify it for your boat?
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(12-13-2020, 08:11 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: That's a good looking trailer. With the rollers will you have to modify it for your boat?

The rollers should automatically adjust to fit my boat.  Hopefully, the only thing I have to do is push the Tongue (Why does this software insert emojis on its own?) t o n g u e back a few inches, with my boat being about a foot shorter than the previous boat.

It has surge brakes! (Had my previous trailer had surge brakes it would not have gotten damaged or damaged my Armada, but I digress.)  I owned an E-Z Loader trailer, once before, and they are a breeze to trailer the boat, because the rollers automatically center the boat on the trailer).

All that's left is taking your damaged trailer to a metal salvage yard getting a little cash out of it, keeping your tires for spares. In Ogden there is Blooms Recycling off of 24th street. I don't know what's in your area.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(12-13-2020, 04:42 PM)Bduck Wrote: All that's left is taking your damaged trailer to a metal salvage yard getting a little cash out of it, keeping your tires for spares. In Ogden there is Blooms Recycling off of 24th street. I don't know what's in your area.

Yep, and fortunately, the tires on my trailer are the same size as the ones on the new trailer (and my tires are in good shape).  The tires on the new-to-me trailer are 11 years old, so they will need to be replaced right away.
Might as well salvage your LEDs too if you’re scrapping the trailer. You can keep them as spares, or resell them and use that money to buy glitter paint to make the new trailer match your boat.
(12-15-2020, 11:00 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Might as well salvage your LEDs too if you’re scrapping the trailer. You can keep them as spares, or resell them and use that money to buy glitter paint  to make the new trailer match your boat.

I will salvage anything of value.