Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great-granddaughter
Well today is the thirteenth day of the rest of my life. We recently received guardianship of my great-granddaughter Lucy. She was in a bad situation and it was us or continuing foster care. Now you might think that I am a little old to be taking on such a big responsibility this late in life, but my wife is a lot younger than I am. She has a 2 and a 6 in her age and she's marvelous with children. We also have a new granddaughter that we will be tending while her mother works. Having Lucy should guarantee me a long life--I have to live at least another 14 years to see her through high school. If you add in a mission and college I could be around for a long time before I reach my "freshness expiration date." She is a firecracker, smart as a whip, but needs help with the difficulties she has faced in her short little life. Your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated. 

She wants to go ice fishing and we're trying every day to make it happen. I just bought a 500-size reel to put on the rod she picked. Should be just right for my 23" ultralight magic wand. Watch out white bass! She just lined up her foam hair rollers which are her mess of fish, and named each one. She gave me a few and we discussed how having fun was more important than how many fish you get. Now can anybody help me figure out how to turn some rollers, a ruler, and some ribbon into a London Bridge? Evidently mine is not up to specs with the critical inspector, but we'll keep working on it.

Enough of the cutesy kids stories. I just want you all to know that my new responsibilities may curtail my fishing and BFT activities (a little bit). I always heard that retirement was a great time to concentrate on fishing. Now I have a higher calling to keep me occupied.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Many happy days ahead and few challenges a would imagine. Also. Good luck
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Enjoy life - take her fishing!