Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing oil in foot of boat motor
I had not changed the oil in my foot for a couple of years and since my prop hit something earlier in the year, I thought now would be a good time to change it and make sure no water got in there. I drain ed yesterday and let it set overnight to make sure it was well drained. No milky color in the oil, so all is good I hope but I have been noticing some slight leakage come from what looks like a weep hole. Has anyone ever noticed small amounts of gear lube coming from their motors foot before? One other question, how do you fill your foot on your boat motor? In the past I have just trimmed my motor up and put the oil in from the lower hole, until it started coming out the upper hole but it occurred to me that I might not be able to fill it up completely, unless the motor is vertical.
They make a simple pump, that attaches directly to a bottle of oil and that is threaded so that one can attach to the bottom hole (while the outboard is vertical) and then pump oil until oil starts to come out the top hole.  Put the plug back in the top hole and then put the plug back into the bottom hole.  Good idea to replace the washers at the same time.  The way you are doing it could result in air bubbles being trapped inside of the lower unit.
Those little washers are a pain, not only to install but to buy, about $1.50 each. Most dealers have them. If you don't have the pump, you can put the nozzle of the lube container in the bottom hole and SQUEEZE like heck to force the lube into the lower unit. Like Kent said, once the lube starts coming out the top hole, you are full, install the top plug and then the bottom. Make sure you don't pinch the washers when you install the plugs. Have fun. Running out of lube is not a fun thing!! Lower units are expensive !~!
I have the pump and it was working find today, until it wasn't. I tried to finish filling it by squeezing to bottom of the plastic bottle into the tube from the pump and I was able get it to fill, just not sure how full, so I guess I'll going shopping for a new pump tomorrow. I was pretty surprised by how much oil I was able to get in there. Do either one of you guys remember how much oil a foot holds? I must have put over a quart in it. My best guess would be between 32 and 40 oz.
Our 2000 Johnson 150 horse takes bout 40 oz.

In one of the past eons before getting a pump I tried to fill by jambing nozzle into lower hole and squeezing to run out of upper hole. Not worth it. That's when I bought a cheap pump to go on quart bottle.

One thing I do is watch very closely as I slowly remove lower plug. I just tilt it out a bit and check the fluid that first comes out for water. We had a unit 20 years ago that started to leak and that is how I discovered it early.
I’m not sure the ounces but I need to have two bottles when I fill my 225 to make sure I get all the air bubbles out. Probably around 40 ounces. I use the pump as well and I leave my motor all the way down when I’m filling it.
Thanks everyone, guess I'll get another pump and make sure it's full. Does anyone remember where they bought their pump? Seems like the last one I bought I got it at an automotive store, like Auto Zone or Checker auto parts, that was a while ago.
(12-21-2020, 04:15 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks everyone, guess I'll get another pump and make sure it's full. Does anyone remember where they bought their pump? Seems like the last one I bought I got it at an automotive store, like Auto Zone or Checker auto parts, that was a while ago.

Walmart had them pretty cheap last I seen in the marine stuff
I have two pumps I bought from walmart  they both work  I had some water in my big motor this year not  a lot I put some silicone on both plugs hope hope its not the seal.     I change mine sometimes 2 times a year.   in both motors. it is not hard to do. and water is heaver than  oil and it will go to the bottom so if there is water it will come out first.
There are YouTube videos about how to do it. (As there are for how to do darn near anything!)
The extra hole is not lube, but exhaust. I talked to Lees Marine about it on my older Johnson. He said it was common and nothing to worrry about. My 150hp Yamaha take over a quart in the lower unit. I also keep my motor vertical while pumping it in. I just sit on the floor and pump away until it comes out the top hole. You are NOT supposed to reuse the little washers on the top and bottom screws. I replace mine each time I do the lower unit oil. I buy a half dozen washers at a time. About a buck each, but cheap when you think about cost of a lower unit, it is cheap insurance.
(12-22-2020, 04:17 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: The extra hole is not lube, but exhaust.  I talked to Lees Marine about it on my older Johnson.  He said it was common and nothing to worrry about.  My 150hp Yamaha take over a quart in the lower unit.  I also keep my motor vertical while pumping it in.  I just sit on the floor and pump away until it comes out the top hole.  You are NOT supposed to reuse the little washers on the top and bottom screws.  I replace mine each time I do the lower unit oil.  I buy a half dozen washers at a time.  About a buck each, but cheap when you think about cost of a lower unit, it is cheap insurance.
Thanks Scott, where do you buy your washers for the drain plugs?
(12-22-2020, 05:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 04:17 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: The extra hole is not lube, but exhaust.  I talked to Lees Marine about it on my older Johnson.  He said it was common and nothing to worrry about.  My 150hp Yamaha take over a quart in the lower unit.  I also keep my motor vertical while pumping it in.  I just sit on the floor and pump away until it comes out the top hole.  You are NOT supposed to reuse the little washers on the top and bottom screws.  I replace mine each time I do the lower unit oil.  I buy a half dozen washers at a time.  About a buck each, but cheap when you think about cost of a lower unit, it is cheap insurance.
Thanks Scott, where do you buy your washers for the drain plugs?
I get those washers, the pump, the oil, and everything else I need for maintenance (filters, etc) on my Mercurys from Amazon, on my door in a few days.  Or, call Lee's and he will ship.
Curt, I got the washers for my Johnson from Dicks. He had them in stock.  I think they were just a few bucks. He also has the high torque oil you will need for it. That's not so cheap.
Thanks guys on the info on the new seals. 
Scott, I'm seeing this leakage from the weep hole just about all the time, now that I've been working on for a few days. I'll wipe if off every day and it coming out again the next day. I'm not see a puddle or anything major but to see this when I have not been running my motor is a little concerning.
Because the lower drain plug is so low, I trimmed up my motor to get the threaded pump fitting into the lower section, then I take the motor all way back down, before pumping the oil in and filling it to the top hole. Even though there is no leakage coming out of either drain plug, I need to get some new seals before a run it again.
Thanks for everyone's help.
You should be able to go on line and find out how much oil your lower unit takes. You can get new washers/seals from pretty much any marine shop, they are standard for all outboards and outdrives. Like someone said, online is also a good place !! Those pumps are nice to have, makes is much easier to fill the unit !! Merry Christmas to all, pray for snow so we have water to float our boats in the spring !!!