Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mackay First Day 12/26
My nephew and I met Fast Randy in the dark at 7:00am this morning, we wasted the first 2 hours near the dam only catching 2 small kokes. We made a move around 9am to the second launch. There is open water near the inlet,  off of the Launch ramp we where on a foot of Ice. I was in 14 feet of water and I have never marked so many fish, the bottom 4 ft. Of the water column was carpeted in fish. I’ll post a Picture of what I was seeing on my graph. My nephew and I really had to work to catch 26 kokes and 5 trout for the smoker. The bite was extremely light and hard to hook. The best set up we found for the kokes was my standard Perch set up, a Gizzy bug on a dropper under a 1/4 gold Kastmaster tipped with meal worms or gulp maggots with Mike Trout glow scent. I caught all of the trout on my go to white with red flake Gitzilla. If you zoom in on my fish picture you can see my set ups. I’ll be back on Monday to build on the pattern I found today.Randy got into some bows and Kokanee as well and a pretty little Brook.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job Shawn, see you on Monday
Great fishing after we gave up on the pink rat finkies that was working last year at Mackey. Many times there was so many fish on our sonar units that you couldn't see your jig. We got lots of rainbows and small kokes, and a brook trout, and a cutthroat or two.
Nice report guys, sounds like a fun trip for sure, with a good mixed bag of fish. How long were the biggest kokes?
(12-27-2020, 02:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report guys, sounds like a fun trip for sure, with a good mixed bag of fish. How long were the biggest kokes?
The kokes are very small on average 8-10” I caught 1 12” koke. The rainbows where 14-16” I did hook into something real large for a few seconds probably one of the finless brood stock they put in there, but I didn’t see it. I’m hopeful that the reason the kokes are so small this year is because they are part of a large 2022 spawner year class and the few 12” kokes are this years spawners.