Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Ririe
Thursday caught 12 kokes.  Biggest was 13.5" smallest was11.5".  Game on.

Yesterday a friend reported he caught his limit of 15.  And a buddy caught 12.  Fishing is better than last two years.
Thanks for that report, good to hear the kokes are a decent size, what colored jig worked the best for you and were you tipping it with anything?
What end of the lake were you fishing?
I heard black tail road was closed... can I get a four wheeler out?
(01-02-2021, 05:02 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: What end of the lake were you fishing?
I'm assuming the Juniper end, as I have seen a couple reports on other groups that its capped and people are catching Kokes.
Ya the juniper end is frozen with 4.5" on the section north of boat ramp. The south section has been capped since last Thursday. The fish I caught ranged from 11.5" to 13.5". I caught most of them on a small pk lure that was pink and white. I tip all my gear with shoepeg corn dyed red and soaked in shrimp- krill oil.
Thanks, have to get up there and give it a try.
(01-03-2021, 02:45 AM)fallsfish Wrote: Ya the juniper end is frozen with 4.5" on the section north of boat ramp.  The south section has been capped since last Thursday.  The fish I caught ranged from 11.5" to 13.5".  I caught most of them on a small pk lure that was pink and white.  I tip all my gear with shoepeg corn dyed red and soaked in shrimp- krill oil.
How deep are the fish?
(01-04-2021, 12:56 PM)duksnfish Wrote: For those of you that didnt see this in the East Idaho News, here's an up to date article on Ririe. Here comes the crowd Smile enjoy and good luck, cant wait for liquid ice to come this spring.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/01/an...ezes-over/
Thanks
I saw that, but figured since the road into blacktail was closed, that would push people to that end.
Any recent updates on if there are still Kokes to catch here?  Looking to be in Idaho Falls this weekend and wondering about taking kids out for a few hours Saturday.
(01-11-2021, 09:45 PM)pookiebar Wrote: Any recent updates on if there are still Kokes to catch here?  Looking to be in Idaho Falls this weekend and wondering about taking kids out for a few hours Saturday.
In my experience at Ririe there are kokanee near the Juniper launch ramp year round, some years more than others,  creel surveys done by fish and game earlier this year looked really good and it should be a great year. Catching Kokanee through the ice is much more social than typical ice fishing where people try to spread out. I would encourage you to go talk to other groups out on the ice and they will most likely invite you to set up near them, because when the schools of kokanee come through the more gear in the water helps keep the kokes attention and the bite going. There can be long periods between the schools passing under you and you can fill that time by targeting perch on the bottom. Chrome and pink 1/5oz. Swedish Pimples are a great option you can tip them with corn or Berkly maggots but honestly when the school is under you they will take it without bait. Good Luck
The big question. How thick is the ice at Juniper?
Probably at least 6" by now, was cold in Idaho Falls today.
(01-12-2021, 12:20 AM)gorfish Wrote: The big question. How thick is the ice at Juniper?
Not  6" yet.  Most places from the boat ramp toward the dam is about 5-5.5".  I was told by other fishermen going towards the mile marker is between 4-4.5".  It about 4.5" just beyond the island area.
(01-02-2021, 03:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for that report, good to hear the kokes are a decent size, what colored jig worked the best for you and were you tipping it with anything?
Pink generally works all the time.  I tip with red dyed shoepeg corn with shrimp and krill oil.
(01-27-2021, 10:33 PM)fallsfish Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 03:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for that report, good to hear the kokes are a decent size, what colored jig worked the best for you and were you tipping it with anything?
Pink generally works all the time.  I tip with red dyed shoepeg corn with shrimp and krill oil.
Hey, you made it back on the site, good to have you back and thanks for the info.
(01-11-2021, 11:45 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 09:45 PM)pookiebar Wrote: Any recent updates on if there are still Kokes to catch here?  Looking to be in Idaho Falls this weekend and wondering about taking kids out for a few hours Saturday.
In my experience at Ririe there are kokanee near the Juniper launch ramp year round, some years more than others,  creel surveys done by fish and game earlier this year looked really good and it should be a great year. Catching Kokanee through the ice is much more social than typical ice fishing where people try to spread out. I would encourage you to go talk to other groups out on the ice and they will most likely invite you to set up near them, because when the schools of kokanee come through the more gear in the water helps keep the kokes attention and the bite going. There can be long periods between the schools passing under you and you can fill that time by targeting perch on the bottom. Chrome and pink 1/5oz. Swedish Pimples are a great option you can tip them with corn or Berkly maggots but honestly when the school is under you they will take it without bait. Good Luck
You nailed it obifishkenobi. Great info if you are headed to Ririe for Kokes!
(02-14-2021, 07:20 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 11:45 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
You nailed it obifishkenobi. Great info if you are headed to Ririe for Kokes!
Totally agree on nailing it Smile.  Information like this is what folks, and many times newbies are looking for and the help always provides folks a good time when they can get out, whether or not its on hard water or otherwise. 

On a separate note, I just saw on tv that an ice fisherman in Massachusetts just caught a 15 lb brown through the ice yesterday for a new state record.  Hope maybe i can find the article and post it up. You never know what's gonna pop their heads up through that tiny hole in the ice Smile