Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd 1-1-2021
Ice fished Boyd lake in the marina on the 1st. fishing was good from 
7 to just about 11 am. we caught 3 walleye 3 trout and 1 largemouth.
Ice in the marina is 6 in. the main lake is only 2 in. not safe yet. Lots of 
People fishing the marina.
(01-02-2021, 01:51 PM)utwalleye Wrote: Ice fished Boyd lake in the marina on the 1st. fishing was good from 
7 to just about 11 am. we caught 3 walleye 3 trout and 1 largemouth.
Ice in the marina is 6 in. the main lake is only 2 in. not safe yet. Lots of 
People fishing the marina.
Great report Chuck, sure is hard for most of us to catch eyes, while ice fishing but it seems easy for you there at Boyd. Do you think that is because of the high number of eyes in that lake or the lake of food during the Winter, or some other reason?
Yeah, having a good population of young walleye (stockers) does have a lot to do with it. But watch some of this guys YouTube videos, Tom boley. I’ve learned a bunch from him, I was doing a few things wrong when I was vertical jigging. It’s a cat and mouse game, when the fish first appears start moving your jig up while shaking it, don’t go up too fast. If the fish fallows it up you might catch him. If he doesn’t fallow drop back down very slow while shacking it. I had one fish fallow my jig up 3 times, he would fallow up about 3 feet them go back down, I would drop back down and start up and here he comes. I’m using some of TubeDudes jigs he made for me. They also have a new kastmaster out that has rattles in it, try them.
(01-03-2021, 09:36 AM)utwalleye Wrote: Yeah, having a good population of young walleye (stockers) does have a lot to do with it. But watch some of this guys YouTube videos,  Tom boley.  I’ve learned a bunch from him, I was doing a few things wrong when I was vertical jigging. It’s a cat and mouse game, when the fish first appears start moving your jig up while shaking it, don’t go up too fast. If the fish fallows it up you might catch him. If he doesn’t fallow drop back down very slow while shacking it. I had one fish fallow my jig up 3 times, he would fallow up about 3 feet them go back down, I would drop back down and start up and here he comes. I’m using some of TubeDudes jigs he made for me. They also have a new kastmaster out that has rattles in it, try them.
Do you have any idea how many eyes they stock there every year and how big they are when stocked? Thanks for the info on catching eyes through the ice. What color jigs are you using from TubeDude?