Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordless drill for ice auger
My 20 something year old eskimo gas auger is getting hard to start and run. Looking to see what cordless drill you guys are using for those that went electric. Went to Pineview got 1 nice crappie and a bunch of dinks. If you cant drill holes hard to move around.
I got myself the pistol bit 8" and a Ryobi P251 (probably the cheapest that is to spec)for christmas this year. Works excellent, no issue drilling 30+ holes in a day. Im sure there are nicer ones like dewalt or Milwaukee, I went Ryobi because I had the batteries already.
I’ve run a Milwaukee 18V on top of my 8” Nils for a couple years. Blazes thru the ice without me breaking a sweat and made me a lot more willing to move. I do like having the drill out there to also drive the ice stakes for the tent. So frustrating to do it by hand in the wind...
Have got both nils and strikemaster laser augers both in 8".
Use Milwaukee 1/2" cordless on either one of them.
Like Chalk Creek UT said I like the drill for driving tent stakes.
I have used 2 diff. elect. augers but am all for this set up as it is lighter and I have the drill for other use.
Just picked up spare batteries. A-bow-nut found a sale at home depot and posted about it. I went up bought spares.
Thanks for the info guys. I know the milwakee m18 fuel is a great drill but it is pricey. I also havent decided what auger so all the information helps. I want a good set up but Iam also 70 years young on fixed income. Dont want to cheap out but dont want to spend extra money either.
Dewalt 1/2" 20vt drill with a nils drill. Not sure if you can get the deal I got but the dewalt, with two batteries, charger and bag was $100, I got the 6" nils drill for $100, it came with a detachable handle and cover for the blades, both the drill and the motor were brand new. I've never had a problem with the 6" drill, as far as getting any fish through the hole and it cuts through the ice much easier. After four years I've never had a problem with the drill and I use it a bunch for projects around the house.
I started with a 18V Rigid and a 8" Strikemaster auger. Then got a 6" Mora auger and both augers worked but I would have to peck at the holes to keep the drill motor from tripping out on overload and have to wait for it to reset before continuing.

Now I have the Milwaukee and paired it up with the K-Drill and it powers through without tripping out on overload.

If you have an auger and cordless drill I would make or buy an adapter and try it out. At worst your out the cost of the adapter or it might do everything that you want it to do.

I can make you an adapter at work if you can get me the measurements.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
An 8" auger is cutting 25.12 sq in of ice, a 6" auger is cutting 18.82 sq in of ice. That is a huge difference and unless you are fishing the gorge for lakers or get a huge cutt at the berry the 6" will get about anything through it. Certainly perch, crappie and white bass.
I run a 18 volt Ryobi with a 6" auger, worked good.
Then o0ne day at Cabelas bargain cave I saw a 6/1 gear reduction made for meat grinders which I bought and adapted to the drill, now it cut like the ice is butter and I get 12 holes or so from a 3Ah battery of which I have 2 of and another 2 1.5Ah batteries.
If I havent gotten on the fish in 24 holes I usally head home.
One thing, you want some kind of guarg on the auger to keep it from falling into the hole if it comes off the drill. I just used a cover from a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the middle that when set on the top of tha auger and the auger nut inserted into the top part keeps the auger above the ice even if it fals out of the drill.
(01-03-2021, 01:32 AM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote: My 20 something year old eskimo gas auger is getting hard to start and run. Looking to see what cordless drill you guys are using for those that went electric. Went to Pineview got 1 nice crappie and a bunch of dinks. If you cant drill holes hard to move around.
Do you already have some batteries compatible with a drill? I got the Ryobi P252 for that reason. I just looked up the price now and they are places selling them for $65. All the electric attachments have a lot more power and not just length of use with bigger batteries. I have some 5-6 amp hour batteries. Using one of those it cuts through ice like butter. This effect is most noticeable with my tire pump. With a 1.5 amp hour battery it is so slow to get my tires to 30 psi or above even with a fully charged battery. The larger batteries gets there at least 10 times faster. Never tried a 1.5 amp hour battery on ice because I'm sure the performance would likewise suffer. You don't need to spend a lot of money on this to get good performance.
Once again thank you all for the comments. A friend is using the a dewalt drill and the hand auger he already owned. Im going out with him this week some time to see how it works and help with thr decision.
(01-03-2021, 03:46 PM)Joe_Hill Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 01:32 AM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote: My 20 something year old eskimo gas auger is getting hard to start and run. Looking to see what cordless drill you guys are using for those that went electric. Went to Pineview got 1 nice crappie and a bunch of dinks. If you cant drill holes hard to move around.
Do you already have some batteries compatible with a drill? I got the Ryobi P252 for that reason. I just looked up the price now and they are places selling them for $65. All the electric attachments have a lot more power and not just length of use with bigger batteries. I have some 5-6 amp hour batteries. Using one of those it cuts through ice like butter. This effect is most noticeable with my tire pump. With a 1.5 amp hour battery it is so slow to get my tires to 30 psi or above even with a fully charged battery. The larger batteries gets there at least 10 times faster. Never tried a 1.5 amp hour battery on ice because I'm sure the performance would likewise suffer. You don't need to spend a lot of money on this to get good performance.
I have a ryobi drill. I have 2 18v 3ah batteries. If the ryobi is working well that is a definite consideration. Thanks
I bought a Dewalt 20v this year. I like how the side handle mounts on the dewalt. I used a Ryobi for 2 yrs and last year the side handle broke jamming the trigger and had a runaway auger in a ice hole. Seen the Ridgid and Fuels break the housing with the handle on YouTube. That is why I bought the dewalt. Slides on tightens on metal ring.  It was not fun trying to get that runaway auger to stop
(01-03-2021, 02:10 AM)DailyAngler Wrote: I got myself the pistol bit 8" and a Ryobi P251 (probably the cheapest that is to spec)for christmas this year. Works excellent, no issue drilling 30+ holes in a day. Im sure there are nicer ones like dewalt or Milwaukee, I went Ryobi because I had the batteries already.
  That's good.  I tried my older Ryobi + 18V , which I think is a P852 (?).  It has new NiCad batteries (claiming 3.5 Amp Hours each), and a 1/2" chuck, but it was NOT up to the task.  I was wishing I had a 6" auger, and it might do.
 Oh, and BTW, my gas auger just broke permanently, so if there is any chance your "hard to start" job can be tuned up, and you could unloadit on me cheap, shoot me a PM, please?
(01-05-2021, 04:24 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
 Oh, and BTW, my gas auger just broke permanently, so if there is any chance your "hard to start" job can be tuned up, and you could unloadit on me cheap, shoot me a PM, please?
How much are you willing to pay? Shoot me a PM, I have one that I'd be willing to part with. I quit using my gas auger when I upgraded to a cordless drill.
Check out the Eskimo pistol bit before you buy. Seen one the other day and lifted it and fell in love. If I upgrade I’m seriously thinking that will be my mora replacement. I use the Milwaukee drill and as long as I keep it on the full torque drill setting I love it. It was acting weird this year and wouldn’t drill a hole without stopping and then I found my setting had gotten twisted and so it wasn’t using full torque. Glad that was the issue I was sick when it wasn’t working like it did last year. Now I’m back to happy. Later J

(01-06-2021, 03:57 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Check out the Eskimo pistol bit before you buy. Seen one the other day and lifted it and fell in love. If I upgrade I’m seriously thinking that will be my mora replacement. I use the Milwaukee drill and as long as I keep it on the full torque drill setting I love it. It was acting weird this year and wouldn’t drill a hole without stopping and then I found my setting had gotten twisted and so it wasn’t using full torque. Glad that was the issue I was sick when it wasn’t working like it did last year. Now I’m back to happy. Later J
I should sell my gasser too, only use it on the gorge or bear lake, but still love the 10” holes so I’ll probably keep it. Sure is heavy after being used to electric drills. J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-04-2021, 04:35 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 02:10 AM)DailyAngler Wrote: I got myself the pistol bit 8" and a Ryobi P251 (probably the cheapest that is to spec)for christmas this year. Works excellent, no issue drilling 30+ holes in a day. Im sure there are nicer ones like dewalt or Milwaukee, I went Ryobi because I had the batteries already.
  That's good.  I tried my older Ryobi + 18V , which I think is a P852 (?).  It has new NiCad batteries (claiming 3.5 Amp Hours each), and a 1/2" chuck, but it was NOT up to the task.  I was wishing I had a 6" auger, and it might do.

I just posted an add for a Tanaka power head on the forum if you are interested. Runs and starts great. Even started at -26 temp. Cheaper than a drill!
(01-06-2021, 06:06 PM)Dayfish Wrote:

I just posted an add for a Tanaka power head on the forum if you are interested. Runs and starts great. Even started at -26 temp. Cheaper than a drill!
I am still looking at thr drill optin. It is so much lighter than gas engine. For mr that is also a concern.
Jeff, could you explain exactly which settings to use on the Milwaukee? Think I've got it right but like to be sure.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-06-2021, 11:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Jeff, could you explain exactly which settings to use on the Milwaukee? Think I've got it right but like to be sure.
I use the M18 Fuel and use the screw setting (there's drill/screw/hammer settings) at 24 on the rotary selector and slow speed (position "1" on the slide selector).  I attach the accessory handle to the drill.  Word of caution:  If your auger hangs up, the drill has enough torque to serious harm your hand/wrist.

Second word of caution:  Make sure you have some means of catching your auger once it penetrates the thickness of the ice in case when pull back the auger, the adaptor slips out of the drill's chuck.  Ask me how I know.  If you want a free auger, there's one about a hundred yards off the Strawberry boat ramp in about 30' of water...lol (not!).  After purchasing a new auger (@#$%^!), I just punched a hole in a bucket lid and slid it over the auger stem just beneath the adapter.